Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    terrykg Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2017, 11:20 AM
    Is an Exit light on an emergency circuit required to be battery back up.
    I have exit light on emergency circuits that have batteries in them. Are they required to have batteries since the inverter or generator will supply power to them in case of power loss? Please advise
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2017, 11:25 AM
    What country and what State? Building Code isn't universally standard globally.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2017, 12:22 PM
    If you are in the US, most likely NFPA 101 applies. If you read the Emergency lighting requirements it allows battery OR alternate power supply. However, NFPA is minimum standard. A local body can require battery in addition to alternate power. World Trade Center found that damage to backup generators caused issues with egress. In addition, there are other requirements when using alternative power supplies. NFPA 101 can be read on line.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 20, 2017, 02:50 PM
    My advice would be to consult with your local building code authority on this matter. A battery backup makes sense from a safety perspective, and may well be the local/state law.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2017, 06:41 PM
    In Florida, 1 1/2 Hours required after outage.
    I was asked to run emergency lighting for a seven story condo. All the walkways zig zagged, Aluminum fixtures Oxidized, Would have had to remove all Lights, Broken screws, retap, a nightmare to get the extra wire through to each existing walkway light the come off each with conduit . Would have looked Like CRAP. I asked the Fire Marshall if I could be allowed to Provide Back up power to the Walkway lighting, he looked into it, said yes. They have Fluorescent, not sure if Led Bulbs were available then, was a few years ago.
    I measured the Current Draw, and would Require an Inverter, and 2 Battery Banks.
    I always wondered what surrounding places thought when every one would lose power but them. Last I saw It Had Rusted Out and not maintained, They had Friends and Families Electricians take over, Nice people, don't realize the Importance. Future Lawsuit?
    It's a Money thing.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Sep 21, 2017, 04:15 AM
    What does the building code say?
    Let's assume you are in the USA, then the National Electrical Code will detail legal choices for the sources of power that can be used for exit sign and emergency lighting. (See NEC Article 700.12)

If a generator is the only power supply to these devices the generator will be required to listed as a Level 1, Type 10, emergency generator. (See NFPA 110)
    If a generator is listed as standby, it can be used but then backup batteries will also be required.

So to completely answer your question we need to know, 1) "Where are you?" and 2) "is the generator a standby or emergency?"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Simple circuit for Battery Status indication for 7.4v re-chargable battery? [ 0 Answers ]

​For my MINI PROJECT I need to get indication for full battery and Low battery(if possible) The circuit must be simple with components such as transistors,resistors

2009 soft tail just changed battery battery light on and so is oil light? [ 2 Answers ]

Just met a group of riders and this was their problem. Anybody got an idea? Alternator bad, then why the oil light? Is there an ignition sequence when you replace a battery in an 09 Harley? Anybody??

2009 soft tail just changed battery battery light on and so is oil light? [ 0 Answers ]

2009 softtail just changed battery battery light on and so is oil light?

Noma 52-2558-8 thermostat - is there a battery to run this as my back light [ 2 Answers ]

On this noma thermostat I have no manual and the back light is not working. How do I get this to start working

Emergency Exit Light Replacement Bulbs [ 2 Answers ]

My church has the standard lighted 'EXIT' signs above the door. The replacement bulbs are expensive 15W things. One gentleman insists that we can save money by using "Christmas" tree 4 W bulbs inplace of the 15W bulbs. Is this OK? It seems that we have to replace them more often than we did the...

View more questions Search