Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 12:55 AM
    Submissive behavior?
    Our puppy does something very strange that I think is a way of showing us that he is below us in the pack order, but I really don't see him ever doing such a thing in a real pack of dogs:

If any of my family lies on the floor face up, he will come over to us and lay his neck over our mouths. Is this submissive? Baring his most vulnerable point to our mouths? Or is it something else?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 03:26 AM
    Usually putting its head above another dog's head is an act of dominance. I hope you keep him well enough brushed you don't get a mouthful of hair.
    Capuchin Posts: 5,255, Reputation: 656
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 04:15 AM
    Yes the hair isn't a problem, He only ever does it when we're face up. It's always over our mouths.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 17, 2007, 11:50 AM
    Cappy, labman is right. His behavior is a dominant one, not submissive. Don't let him do that. Correct him immediately by turning him over on his back and holding him in that position, with you above him. As far as the other dogs, he recognizes that he is not dominant with them, therefore, he doesn't do it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Overly Submissive Doxie Pup [ 2 Answers ]

My 7 month old neutered Doxie pup completely melts into the ground with limpness (face down) when I pick him up and it is a heartbreaking sight. Since he is from rescue, I don't scold or yell for any reason. Sometimes he urinates, sometimes not. I have had him 3 weeks now and his sister does NOT...

Behavior [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir I want to know which of the followng is true and which is false about territorial behaviour in animals?please tell me why you say that and if it is possible give me an example too 1-it provides some protection from predators 2-increase intra-specific competition for food Thanks a lot

Behavior [ 3 Answers ]

Florida, Can anyone tell me how to go about getting a court order behavior order for my 17 yr daughter. She is currently not living at home and I need her to be here so we can access her for drug addiction and possible marchment act.

Submissive urination [ 2 Answers ]

Our three year old dachsund (which we've had for about a year now) has a problem with submissive urination. We let her outside to pee, she readily askd to go outside when she needs to go, and yet whenever we pick her up, stoop to pet her, or scold her she dribbles. We don't want to make her an...

View more questions Search