Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Sep 17, 2017, 04:59 PM
    Basic cable in provincetown, ma
    I know two very senior women who cannot afford cable. So they have a
    Television and the only thing they use it for is to take out movies from the
    Library.

I asked if they could get an antenna for their TV and they were told no, they
    Have to get cable.

I can't afford much but was playing around with getting them cable for the
    Basic channels. Any advice on this subject would be helpful to me. I am
    Technically challenged... I have a computer, and iPod and a flip phone!!
    Oh,,, also I do not live anywhere near them..I'm in a different state.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 17, 2017, 05:32 PM
    Their library reference people and IT staff should be able to help them. And a local church group?

Sep 18, 2017, 01:24 PM
    I wanted to surprise them if it didn't cost too much money. They are in their
    80's and can't get around very well... someone shops for them but I can't
    Burden that person with another favor
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Sep 18, 2017, 07:14 PM
    Basic cable is going to run around $60 a month.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2017, 04:44 AM
    A set top antenna won't work for them? The apartment complex can't prevent a set top antenna which is similar to "Rabbit ears" that have been used since the advent of TV.
    current pert

Sep 19, 2017, 05:36 AM
    Provincetown MA is the tip of Cape Cod. I'm positive that no signal will reach rabbit ears. There would have to be an antenna on the roof.

Sep 19, 2017, 05:37 AM
    It's a private house
    Uber Member

Sep 19, 2017, 06:01 AM
    If it's a private house.. how can they prohibit an antenna from being put up? There was federal legislation many years ago prohibiting restrictions on Satellite dishes for the very reason of Cable company monopolies.

Sep 20, 2017, 08:19 AM
    Do you mean rabbit ears or something on the roof?? If that is done, does it
    Mean that they don't have to pay anything for the use of the television?
    Uber Member

Sep 20, 2017, 09:01 AM
    I defer to joypulv on the rabbit ear thing as that's her neck of the woods, and knows the area geographically far better than me and can see how rabbit ears might not work due to distance from the TV stations. The Antenna on the roof (usually attached to the chimney) might have an installation fee unless these ladies have a friend who could install it for them, its really not hard if someone has a ladder a few basic tools and is physically agile enough to go on the roof. They won't have a massive selection of channels cable has... but there would be no recurring fees to use the TV on the few channels they would have other than cost of the TV to buy and the electricity.

Keep in mind..I am assuming this is not a 30 year old analog TV they have owned forever but one of the newer ones with a digital tuner....those newer ones are cheap, and smaller LCD ones would use very little electricity too compared to an older TV.

If they enjoy TV and movies they might enjoy cable more but they can't afford it you said and of someone else was willing to pay the fees that might be the better option for them, just that a lot of people forgot what we did before cable... and a lot of people still do that don't want the fees, or want the channels.
    current pert

Sep 20, 2017, 09:02 AM
    I grew up in the country. Roof antennae were always a lot of work for my dad. They rarely got good reception unless turned for each station, so he installed a remote controlled turning device. That meant even more problems because of storms. Cape Cod is subject to storms. Good luck with any of this.

No, you don't have to pay a dime for what are called 'broadcast' channels. The ones that existed when we were little. That's all you will get.

I live near to where I grew up. I have to explain over and over that there is NO CELL PHONE coverage here, so I have a land line (bundled with TV and internet, comcast cable). It's weird how many people can't comprehend.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 20, 2017, 09:35 AM
    Since you are wanting to be helpful have you ever talked to them? Do you know what type of TV they have? Maybe they LIKE getting out if nothing else to the market and library. Would a this be Greater Boston, Manchester and Cape Cod, MA, Free HDTV Channels and Antennas. something useful to them?

Nov 11, 2017, 10:10 AM
    They didn't let me click "helpful" but I just wanted to take a minute to say
    Thank you for your detailed, thoughtful reply.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Nov 11, 2017, 03:33 PM
    Also if they have or can get internet ( often much cheaper than cable) TV is free off the internet, I have not had cable in over 6 one year
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Nov 11, 2017, 07:04 PM
    Thanks Jammy, just curious about the outcome of your gesture.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Making a basic homepage w/ basic news box? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi. My site I'm designing is my personal homepage. I just use a few html tags. And I use the first html that was created, not the html5. I made my index.html file so far, and its even viewable on the web by me only. I have a background image that's a scenery page. Used the beginning and...

I replaced the cable, cleaned & lubed the deck parts, works fine until I attach cable [ 0 Answers ]

42" Craftsman mower. I can move the idler pulley easily, the cable moves fine (new) but when I attach the cable it won't pull the idler pulley. I don't see any visible reason for this. Any ideas?

Can you put brass cable glands on Aluminimum armour cable [ 1 Answers ]

Can you put brass cable glands on Aluminimum armour cable

Can telephone cable and television cable put in one electrical conduit [ 5 Answers ]

Can telephone cable and television cable put in one electrical conduit?

View more questions Search