Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

Sep 15, 2017, 03:42 PM
    Running gas line for cook-top
    I have a gas line in my basement that feeds my furnace. It is almost directly underneath where I want to run a new gas line for a gas cook-top. The run looks like it will be 8-10'. Can I just T off right there and go to the cook-top? Would I put the T before the furnace cutoff and also put a cutoff on the cook-top, or just put the T after the cutoff and run to the cook-top? In the event I had to work on the cook-top, I doubt it would matter if I cut off the gas to the furnace, but I wasn't sure if code said there had to be a cutoff on every appliance. Also, is there a certain size line that is used for cook-tops? I haven't opened it up yet and looked at the manual, so maybe it specifies in there. Can I use the yellow teflon-type tape for gas lines or should I use pipe dope? Thanks.

Name:  20170915_174922.jpg
Views: 759
Size:  916.2 KB
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 15, 2017, 04:40 PM
    Hi JP

Most gas cooktops require a minimum 1/2" gas line.

Code absolutely requires an individual shut off valve for each separate appliance.

To tell you exactly where to connect into the gas line I would need to know the BTU of the furnace and the BTU of the cook top....would also need to know max. distance from the farthest gas appliance to the gas meter (as well as ALL BTU appliance counts for the gas system), so the answer is a bit involved. I would suggest finding a gas calculator online and entering needed information into it to determine if you can simply connect into the gas line behind the existing shut of valve. My GUESS is that you should be OK...

Finally, know that installing a gas line usually requires a licensed gas fitter (or plumber), a gas permit, a gas test (pressure and time varies by state), and inspection by a local gas inspector. Insurance companies absolutely FROWN on homeowner's doing their own gas work. If you do choose to do the gas work, a pressure test should be done as well as a soap test. Google "how to isolate and test a gas line" to be sure you cover all bases and do not end up blowing a gas valve or meter diaphragm in the process, OK?

Back to you...

Mark

Sep 16, 2017, 02:44 PM
    Yeaaahhhh... I've done pretty much everything but gas work. I'm aware of the dangers associated with it, but wasn't aware of all the blah, blah associated with it. I had a good plumber, but he's recently merged with a local HVAC company that I absolutely refuse to do business with. You even have to call them and push 3 or whatever to get to his business. I didn't want to deal with it, but it's so hard to find someone decent in this crappy town I live in that I was just going to jump on it to get it done. I'll get a plumber out here experienced with gas lines, or a gas fitter, whoever I can find here and let them do it. Thank you for pointing out all the issues involved. If I wasn't in a hurry when I posted and had done a search, I see this has been answered umpteen times.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Sep 17, 2017, 06:49 PM
    JohnsPop:

Just one detail: If the licensed plumber plans on installing the gas flex, as pictured in your visual on the right, then he also has to be certified by the manufacturer of that particular brand for installation of their product

Good luck with your project !

Milo

Sep 18, 2017, 07:44 AM
    Is that everywhere or is it a state by state code type of thing? Hopefully anything they'd be carrying on their truck and using, they'd be "signed off on" but you know how that goes. <sigh> You know, I understand the need for codes and safety, especially when working with gas lines, but with all the levels of government, it's getting where you can't hardly make a living any more. A lot of guys won't even do work in the city limits where I live any more because our town has gotten so out of control with their fees and permits. And I don't say that to try to take business away from you guys who have gone the extra mile to be certified on everything, apprenticed, licensed, insured, etc. I know there's a time and place to call a professional on every job, but some folks just aren't going to do that in a lot of situations and I'm not a big fan of government intervention. Anyway, that being said, I know this is a time to call a professional and I really appreciate all you guys who *are* professionals and take the time to help folks on forums and also those who make Youtube videos. I know that takes an incredible amount of time and I'm amazed by how willing folks are to take up so much of their valuable time to help folks out!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does Cook's Essentials 6 qt. pressure cooker cook on high or low for slow cooking [ 0 Answers ]

Does Cook's Essentials 6 qt. Round Digital S/S pressure cooker cook on high or low when using the "Slow Cooker" function? Can't find anywhere in the manual so don't know what temperature it "slow cooks" on?

Install gas line to replace electric cook top [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my name is Ohbah and I hate my electric cook top stove. Only 2 burners work and I would really like to switch to gas. Would 1/4" line deliver enough gas to a gas cook top (no oven). Any help would so appreciated. Thank you so much :)

Replacing electric cook-top with a gas cook-top. 30 amp breaker to 15 amp? [ 3 Answers ]

I am replacing an electric cooktop with a gas cooktop. The electric cooktop is wired to a 30 amp breaker. The gas cook-top needs a 15 amp breaker. Do I need to pull the 30 amp service and run a new line from a new 15amp breaker? There is plenty of room in the panel to do this.

Running New Gas Line to Stove [ 1 Answers ]

I am replacing my electric stove with a gas stove... Off the 1 1/2" main line in the basement there is a tee, elbow and 3/4" plug, I plan on running the 3/4" black pipe over approx 1 ft, 90deg elbow 8 ft' run and 1' up through the floor, shut off valve, and flex line to the stove. Other appliances...

View more questions Search