Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Elph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2017, 12:05 PM
    Garage doors for pole barn
    I'd like a wide opening for my pole barn... no roof yet. It is 19.5 feet wide from inside of one pole to the other. They're telling me I need to put in additional posts for framing which would narrow the opening. I really want a barn door that slides from side to side...
    I don't want to narrow the opening.
    Any ideas?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2017, 01:00 PM
    Get a used 18 ft. double garage door or 2 X 10 ft. single doors, bolt together, mount barn door rollers to it and a track to the barn. Extend the sides if needed. A cheap hanger would be garage door rollers on brackets and a garage door track. Check Craigslist.
    Elph Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Sep 15, 2017, 01:09 PM
    Sounds good but what about supporting the doors above? I'd need a header right? Would I need any support on the sides... framing in?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2017, 05:16 PM
    That would depend on the overall construction. Yes, a header for sure. Look on line at "framing a sliding pole barn door".
    # How To Frame A Pole Barn Sliding Door #

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pole heights for pole barn corners [ 1 Answers ]

I am going to put up a 48' wide by 24' deep pole barn, open faced for my tractor and attachments. How do I determine the length opf 6x6 posts for the 4 outside corners so that I have 8 " at the rear of the building? I am putting them in concrete 3' deep and at the back 24' away I want the lowest...

How do I get the sliding doors on my pole barn from freezing at the bottom [ 0 Answers ]

We just built a pole barn with sliding doors and the melting snow and freezing rain fills up the bottom where the doors slide and has frozen them . How do we get them thawed out and prevent this from happening again?

How can I lift or raise a pole that has settled or sunk in an existing pole barn? [ 4 Answers ]

My 25 year old pole barn has a couple of poles that have sunk six to eight inches and I want to jack them up in place. Is there a jack designed for this purpose or a suggested method?

Pole barn and garage [ 1 Answers ]

I am getting a modular home in jan and it has 200 amp breaker box my question is Can I run 100 amp service to the garage and 100 amp service to the pole barn out of that breaker box on two different 100 amp breakers or do I need to come right off the meter. There is plenty of room on that box as...

Sliding Barn Doors [ 4 Answers ]

I am going to build a double door for a barn that slides on channel. The will each be 6' wide and 12' tall. Any thing I need to know?

View more questions Search