Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2017, 04:59 AM
    Deck question
    I'm rebuilding my rear deck and intend to screen in part of it. I am going to put screen wire under the screened in portion to keep out bugs. Will fiberglass screen work under those deck boards, or should I use aluminum?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Sep 14, 2017, 03:03 PM
    I have used both but there are pro's and cons. Dirt and "stuff" gets caught in the cracks and is hard to get out. Aluminum is, or can be, a one man job since it is more ridged and can be pushed in place and then stapled. Fiberglass is harder to install since it is so flexible. Last one I did was fiberglass and was a 2 man job. Are you going to staple to joist or floor?
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2017, 05:29 AM
    My plan is to staple the beginning of the run, and then pull it tight over the joists and staple the other end using four foot wide rolls. I'll then just put the boards over the top and screw them down. My only concern about fiberglass is durability.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 15, 2017, 06:21 AM
    What is the Difference Between Aluminum and Fiberglass Window Screens?

Difference Between Aluminum and Fiberglass Window Screens

Fiberglass is generally less expensive as compared to aluminum. It also does not dent when pushed or hit. Fiberglass however, is somehow darker than the aluminum mesh, this means that it gives it a darker external appearance and therefore reduces the amount of light getting into the room. Another disadvantage of fiberglass over aluminum is that it tends to degrade with time due to long exposure to UV light. This quality also makes it break and fray easily and hence does not last as long as aluminum. Fiberglass screens are sold in 100 foot rolls of varying widths ranging from 18 to 120 inches. Aluminum screens are also purchased in 100 foot rolls; however, the range available is limited as compared to fiberglass, according to Wire Screen.
    As evidenced in the difference between aluminum and fiberglass window screens, both make good options it all depends on personal preferences.
    Related Resource: Different Types of Window Screens

Window Screen Mesh Types Explained - Quality Windows Screens - Quality Screen Co, LLC (LP)

What kind of bugs do you have in your region? We have gnats and they lay eggs on screens and reek havoc when they hatch INSIDE the screen.

Got pets?

Screen doors and screen repair - you've found the source

Not trying to complicate your project, there's just a lot of stuff out there.
    Uber Member

Sep 15, 2017, 10:40 AM
    Mainly concerned about flying insects such as mosquitoes, or things like ants, spiders, etc. Doing this proect for wife, and she is not a fan of bugs. With the screen under the decking, I don't think UV would be a consideration. Now when we screen in the porch, then that is a different story.
    KingsX Posts: 231, Reputation: 10

Jul 28, 2019, 01:55 PM
    My front deck is completely screened in and we don't have any screen under the decking. We have essentially no bugs, I honestly don't think bugs are smart enough to come up the floor. We get more from the kids holding the door open for too long. If bugs do get in that way, its so few and far between they're easy to manage. I live in the mosquito capital of the world too btw. The dirt and crap that will build up on that screen, to me, is worse than the odd mosquito getting in.

EDIT: My bad for resurrecting an ancient question!! Haven't been in here in a while and hadn't noticed.
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2019, 03:25 PM
    No problem. Thanks for your input. I finished the deck about a year ago. So far so good. I did put the screen under the deck. It turned out to be fairly simple to do so it was no big deal. I used fiberglass. What was really surprising was how easy it was to screen in the deck openings.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mower deck belt diagram for Toro 72" deck on 1988 Groundsmaster 220 [ 1 Answers ]

Looking for a belt diagram to replace the belt on a 988 Toro Groundsmaster 220 that has a 72" mower deck

I have a john deere 180 lawn mower I have a deck question? [ 1 Answers ]

I removed the double pulley assembly to replace the bearing I don't remember whether the larger diameter pulley goes up toward the mower or on bottom toward deck can you help?

Changing belt on wizard 14 hp 42 in cut craftsman deck replacing linkage on deck [ 1 Answers ]

How do I replace linkage rods on mower deck on a wizard 14 hp 42 in. craftman deck.

Mower deck belt routing John Deere 420 - 50inch deck [ 3 Answers ]

Hi - I am looking for help on the routing for deck belt for John Deere 420 with 50 inch deck. Any help would be appreciated. [email protected] Thank you ! Steve

Deck top. We have a covered deck, planning on expanding deck, a 2x4 crossed cover [ 1 Answers ]

help!! We are planning on expanding our original deck with an open 2x4 crossed cover... do you have pictures or construction help?? Thanks

View more questions Search