Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Handyish Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Sep 10, 2017, 10:07 PM
    Wall oven - 4 wire to 3 prong plug
    I received a new double wall oven courtesy of my home warranty... They delivered the oven but would not install it as there was a plug and not a junction box to hard wire it. Being handy-ish, I went to Lowe's and bought a 3 prong plug for the 3 prong receptacle. I then took the 4 wires from the oven and attached them to the plug with the two hots on the outside, and the neutral (combined with the ground) to the top. I plugged it in and there was no lights on the oven. I checked power and there was power to the outlet and power to the oven.

Shortly after, an old vent stack from a previous gas oven slipped and touched the back of the wall oven causing the lights to come on in the oven. I thought maybe it had jiggled a loose wire, but after touching the vent stack and oven at the same time, I got a nice shock!

(I've read dozens of different blogs/forums on this and am still confused)

Any ideas?

Check out some similar questions!

Dryer wiring with 10 2 wire 3 prong plug? [ 9 Answers ]

I asked a Lowe's emp what wire I should buy for a 3 prong plug. I was told 10-2. when I ran the wire to the old junk box there is 10-3 wire to it. How can I connect the 10-2 wire at the junk box. Or do I have to run the 10-2 to the main?

How do I wire a 3 prong 220 plug to a 4 prong plug? [ 1 Answers ]

Dryer ciruit 1962 house 2006 whirlpool dryer

How do you wire a 4 prong plug [ 1 Answers ]

i have a switch box in the house. My wire coming outside has the black, red, white and ground. The 4 prong plug i have has g-green w-white y for? And x for? Can anybody tell me which one is for black and which one for red? Thanks

4 prong plug on new dryer vs. Three prong wall receptacle - best fix? [ 2 Answers ]

I just purchased a new dryer that has a 4 prong/blade plug. My home is older and the installed receptacle is only 3 prong. I thought it best to try to replace the old 3-slot wall receptacle with a new 4-slot. The three wires inside the old receptacle are black, white and bare copper. I see...

3 wire range to 4 prong plug. [ 2 Answers ]

Have an old 3 wire 240v range I am installing. I ran a 50amp souple pull circuit with 6/3 wire and installed a 4 prong outlet. How can I convert the range to a four prong plug. Black and Red are easy. Does white go to ground lug on the range and then does green get bonded to the range itself. ...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.