Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    johnredman03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2017, 03:03 PM
    Uni living advice and help needed!
    Hey, so for uni I'm moving away to ottawa, rn I live in Toronto. I don't want to live in rez because I would rather cook on my own and I need privacy. So my options are to either rent an apartment or a room and live with roomates. Thing is, I'm scared to live with roomates as I've heard they steal your stuff, or someone refuses to pay etc.. However financially, I would only be able to pay 500 or so a month. It is easy to find a room for this amount, but nearly impossible to find an apartment for this amount. Should I take money from student loan towards the apartment (ive heard this is a terrible idea) or should I just suck it up and live w roomates? Any roommate experiences anyone?
    Thanks
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Sep 2, 2017, 04:16 PM
    In a dorm, you'd have roommates probably, or at least dormmates.

What about renting a room and having kitchen and bathroom privileges? During my sophomore year, I lived in an off-campus family home, in a spare bedroom that had an attached bathroom and a mini kitchen (small refrigerator and two hot plates -- microwaves didn't exist yet).

Do you have a car for traveling to and from campus? Ottawa is certainly large enough for you to find various options. Usually the dean's office will have a list of housing options. Try craigslist:

https://ottawa.craigslist.ca/search/roo
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Sep 3, 2017, 08:04 AM
    Live within your means, so do your research, and choose where you live, and with whom VERY carefully. Or get a better paying JOB. Are you planning on working AND going to school? Will employment affect your education funding? Nearly all the students with loans juggle between living expenses, and education costs.

Depends how you MANAGE whatever funds you have, knowing full well that LOANS require REPAYMENT at some point, but a necessary investment in your future. I worked my way through school without loans, and though it took LONGER to get through school, I emerged debt free. I found a great paying job that allowed for that (Way back in the day of course, and many don't have that option NOW)!
    Thanks MOM/DAD! Forever grateful for instilling do it yourself, and MANAGE your life work ethics.

I don't knock those without a great job, and MUST take out loans to better themselves, but the key here is you must be willing to make adjustments to your situation to succeed. I mean what if you cannot get those kitchen privileges, or have to share them with others, to live within your budget? The same goes for your privacy, and security.

Hey man you no longer live at home with mommy or daddy, so you better learn quick how to compromise and navigate through this very hard cruel world with some thoughtful management of YOURSELF, and your affairs. Its challenging, but doable if you work at it.

Get the FACTS and see what options you have, and base your decision on the FACTS. I didn't have room mates, did I mention that good job? No good job? Don't be afraid to experiment, or have faith in your own realistic ability to rise to the challenge.

Where is your 500 bucks a month coming from?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Please help! Advice needed! [ 7 Answers ]

I'm not typically a shy person, but ever since I met this girl (who I am now dating) I am extremely shy and timid around her. We've been dating for about 5 days. One time she told me she was cold, so I offered her my jacket. She said we were almost back at her house so she didn't need it. When she...

Advice needed! [ 1 Answers ]

My partner and I are both 26, dated for about 7 months and it seems I like to have sex a lot more than him.. he can go a whole week without it, where I cannot! He says he likes it to just happen, but rarley tries it on. Its not out of the blue as he's been like this from day one. I know a...

Help me out, advice needed? What should I do? [ 2 Answers ]

There's this guy that I really like, and he and I confessed too each other that we liked each other. I was shocked when he told me the way he felt I should've gotten his number, and didn't. I'm still in shock, and I don't, and will not look for him, but he told me where he works. Does anyone think...

Is a living trust needed for this situation [ 2 Answers ]

We pay mortgage and insurance for elderly parents with arrangement that they live in house and when the both pass house goes to us. The whole family is aware of this arrangement but we all would like to have something in writing. We were told that a living trust would work but we are unsure...

Tax filing advice needed - married but living in 2 states + husband is now deployed [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I got married in June 2010. Prior to getting married, I lived in NYC and he lived in another state. After getting married, we still lived in separate states. Furthurmore, my husband deployed to a combat zone in August. How would we go about filing a tax return? Would we file MFJ...

View more questions Search