Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jujubee6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2017, 09:24 AM
    Phosphors and phospherus
    I understand that phosphorus comes in multiple forms, one of which is white, volatile, and highly toxic. I know that phosphors come in multiple chemical forms, two of which are Zinc Sulfide and Strontium Aluminate for glow-in-the-dark products like light sticks, etc, many of which kids use.

In doing some research for a magazine article I'm writing, I read a sentence that said "Chemists have been able to mimic phosphors..." and the word "mimic" leaves me wondering if this was done because original phosphors were (and still can be) from phosphorus?

Thank you
    In doing some research for a magazine article I'm writing, I read a sentence that said "Chemists have been able to mimic phosphors..." and the word "mimic" leaves me wondering if this was done because original phosphors were (and still can be) from phosphorus?
    jujubee6 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2017, 09:25 AM
    Phosphors and phospherus
    I understand that phosphorus comes in multiple forms, one of which is white, volatile, and highly toxic. I know that phosphors come in multiple chemical forms, two of which are Zinc Sulfide and Strontium Aluminate for glow-in-the-dark products like light sticks, etc, many of which kids use.

Thank you
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 29, 2017, 12:09 PM
    Phosphors do not contain Phosphorus. They are chemicals that emit "cold" light when mixed. To glow from Phosphorous would be white Phosphorous, much too dangerous to use for lighting purposes.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Glow in the dark Phosphors-How can we make them glow even brighter? [ 3 Answers ]

Two phosphors that are used in glow in the dark toys/putties etc. that have these properties are Zinc Sulfide and Strontium Aluminate. The glow in the dark toys normally use one of these two phosphors that are energized by normal light and have a very long persistence. Strontium Aluminate is...

View more questions Search