Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bmx4mommy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 27, 2017, 11:21 AM
    Hostile work environment?
    A friend put in for a transfer and when the shift manager asked him about why, he told her a few of his issues. Today he asked about the approval on his transfer and she said "you don't have enough time in" He has 90 days in, and when he went into the area he works, all of his co-workers asked him about him telling management that he does all the work. He did not say that he was upset because when there is nothing to do everyone stands around while he and another associate cleans. Now everyone is mad at him, and its unfair.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 27, 2017, 03:15 PM
    What's this friend to you, and all you have is his side of things. Hard to judge any workplace when you have less than 90 days, which is a typical probation period. Do you really expect a newbie to win friends by berating his co workers?

Is it possible he made this workplace hostile? Is it possible being a newbie they are testing him? Are you just upset because he is upset? Be fair now, is this his FIRST job?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2017, 07:38 AM
    Gee, life is unfair. Only 90 days and he feels a right to criticize the dept? Bad move on his part. You have to think long and hard before shooting off your mouth at work. Actions has consequences, the newbie conforms to the group, the group never conforms to the newbie.

You can't stir the pot then claim harassment, or hostile workplace. I have no doubt management has this well documented and "friend" may soon find himself unemployed if this continues.

Work is for work, not playing personal games.

And only 90 days in a dept, unless it's trained monkey work, nobody can do all the work at that point. And if it is, he is super easy to replace.

If this is actually a friend and not you, I strongly advise against getting involved in any way. Trouble makers are singled out and gotten rid of as they hurt productivity.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 28, 2017, 05:05 PM
    He should have never said, "he had issues" he should have said he like the shift better, he wanted time at home. So on.

He now has told his boss that he does not like working that shift and has issues. That boss was the one that was most likely having to give a OK or give review of him for transfer.

My opinion, he shot his self in foot saying anything negative.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 29, 2017, 11:00 AM
    Work IS unfair. No matter how many policies and laws in place, it's very unfair.
    Newbies are often expected to go through a bit of a trial by fire by co-workers.
    If you are SMART, you grin and bear it somewhat, not too much, and use a bit of sarcasm to joke about it, and then you get accepted, and they let up on you.
    That's so ancient human nature I'll bet they built the pyramids and the Taj Mahal that way.

He might as well look for another job now.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hostile work environment or being discriminated? [ 12 Answers ]

Hey all I am not sure whether I am being discriminated against or not so would appreciate your thoughts. Background info: After I joined two new employees were recruited to build a bigger team. Both are in a senior role to me but we all report into the same manager - note I do not report...

Hostile work environment? [ 4 Answers ]

I have worked at my place of employment for just over a year and a half, and my boss is... well I wouldn't want even anyone that has wronged me to work with this person. I have been called stupid, retarded and incompetent, I have been belittled and disrespected in front of other employees. Now, I'm...

Hostile work environment [ 5 Answers ]

I was working the other night when my supervisor and a co worker entered my work station and asked me to come to the office, so I went with them and me and the co worker got into a heated argument. My coworker was literally in my face yelling at me, so I looked at my supervisor who was just sitting...

Labor law/hostile work environment [ 4 Answers ]

I was acting supervisor on my job last week. Iwe all carry weapons at this job. I gave an order to one of the employees and she flipped. She began to curse at me very loudly, she called people on her personal phone to talk about me loud enough so that I could her. As a matter of fact, she was...

View more questions Search