Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Aug 26, 2017, 06:37 AM
    What should I use to repair subfloor in slab?
    My house is a tri-level. The 3rd level down is 30" below grade and on a concrete slab covered with 1x4 sleepers with solid foam panels between them and then a 1/2" plywood subfloor on top of them installed in the 1980s. (I have a snapshot of the construction in progress.) There's some cracking in the sheet vinyl floor in the bathroom, but I can't tell if it's from a leak or just a breakdown of the vinyl. When I remove the vinyl to replace it, what should I replace the plywood and maybe the sleepers with if there is rot? I want to have the result the same height as the existing floor to prevent creating an uneven floor at the doorway. I don't know how the sleepers were installed either (masonry nails or adhesive). The products I've seen aren't thick enough and/or create a lot of seams that might be noticeable when the new vinyl flooring is installed even with leveler of some kind. I'll also need to remove and reinstall the toilet. Another bathroom can be used during the repair. The bathroom is 7' x 7' at the longest measurements and there is a shower stall and jog near the doorway and toilet to deal with. Any suggestions on how to approach this would be appreciated.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2017, 10:22 AM
    Pressure treated 1X4 and pressure treated plywood would be my choice. Glue with construction adhesive or screw them down using TAPCO fasteners. Make sure there is plenty of blocking around a toilet or the rocking will cause wax ring failure and leakage.
    coblas Posts: 137, Reputation: 2

Sep 16, 2017, 06:15 AM
    The pressure treated lumber should dry out for a month or so before installing, right? Should something be applied to the seams where the plywood sections meet before installing the sheet vinyl?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Subfloor for hardwood on slab [ 9 Answers ]

I have a ranch house on a slab that sits above grade and has no apparent moisture problems. I want to install hardwood floors (t&g cherry) in the entry, dining and living rooms and tile in the kitchen and bath. What is the best subfloor to install? Professionals have suggested (1) paint-on water...

Slab leak repair [ 7 Answers ]

What is the safest way to repair a drain pipe leak under the slab option 1: brake the concrete at the toilet area and replace the pvc manifold connection and reroute pipe to side of house . Opt 2 : dig comfortable area under slab to replace maniflod pvc pipes and reroute pipe to side of house ...

Installing toilet directly on concrete subfloor/slab [ 3 Answers ]

Living in a loft - going for that "loft" look and want to re-install my toilet directly onto the concrete slab (floor had ceramic tile before). Concerned that the flange will not be set low enough in current state - don't want gap between toilet base and floor obviously. Is there a type of flange...

Under slab drain repair [ 2 Answers ]

By camera & detector I've had a broken line under the slab located. Since there is a break here, how likely is it that the whole line is at the point of needing replacement? Is rerouting the line around the house a viable option?

Pipe repair under slab [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I own a 1 story home on a slab. Recently I've had trouble with the drain line that drains from the kitchen/laundry area. I rented a snake and broke the head off it and came back with clay mud on the end. I believe I have a broken pipe under the slab. The pipe is cast 1 1/2"-2" diameter. ...

View more questions Search