Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmonfett Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 24, 2017, 10:13 AM
    Sagging Old House
    My parents live in a house that is over 100 years old. In the middle of the house it is sagging. It was like that when they bought it and were told it wasn't an issue. My mom claims it hasn't sunk further into the ground since they have lived there but not sure if maybe she hasn't noticed cause they've lived there a long time or what. When I asked if she was going to have it repaired she said it was going to be too expensive and not worth it. She thinks because it hasn't fallen in on itself in the last 100 years it won't. Will it fall in on them? Should she look into having it fixed no matter the cost? They have a second story home and a dirt floor basement.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 24, 2017, 12:19 PM
    We would have to ask you too many questions and you wouldn't have the answers, so there's no way to know.
    Chances are it isn't going to fall on them - usually other problems are evident years before it would, such as roof leaks.

Unless your parents are of concern in all areas of general negligence of their house and themselves, I would let them be the owners and leave it at that.
    They could have two or three contractors look at it for free.
    One scenario I can imagine is that some of the middle posts in the cellar, being on dirt, have sunk.
    The fix would be concrete piers and new posts next to the old ones, installed after jack posts slowly raise the main beam.
    That would be low thousands of dollars, depending on how many posts are needed.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 24, 2017, 06:22 PM
    Better to ask a qualified foundation contractor---"Will it fall in on them?"
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 24, 2017, 08:58 PM
    They could have two or three contractors look at it for free.
    Better to ask a qualified foundation contractor---"Will it fall in on them?"
    That's where you start for the FACTS.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 25, 2017, 06:46 AM
    There's facts and there's facts.
    E.g., many a homeowner will take the cheap fix, such as putting a couple of lally columns under the beam, resting on a patio block or two... save thousands.
    Will the house fall down on them? Probably greater odds of the tectonic plates shifting under them.
    Look how many of us live with odds like earthquakes, mudslides, tornadoes, and whatnot.
    Then there's the facts that a contractor will tell you... how do you know they are telling you facts? You don't. They want the job.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 25, 2017, 09:20 AM
    There may be homeowners insurance, or some sort of financing plan also, just in case. The point of getting facts is to know the options so you can make a reasonable decision. Joy is correct contractors are looking for business, but talking to many may make you more aware of what is needed. The ultimate responsibility is your parents, but maybe you can do the footwork, and gather facts for them.

Maybe this type of thing is covered under the homeowners policy, and they have contractors they work with. Just do the best you can to address your own concerns for their safety.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sagging boobs [ 7 Answers ]

If any one will know of these things it will be you ladies who have just been or are going through it... I had my son last feb and gained a few stretch marks which I don't mind but also breast fed which has made my boobs sag the skin is lose and not tones now as I have re gained my before pregancy...

Sagging counter top [ 1 Answers ]

Hi,this about sagging counter top in corner,I put down (2)opposing sheets of 3/4 inch plywood Then installed a sheet of laminate on top got ready to put back splash on and the corner I had A gap of about 1/2 inch which really surprised me,has anybody had this happen to them. What appears to make...

Breast Sagging [ 2 Answers ]

After delivering my child, my breasts have absolutely sagged. They look very shabby. How can I have nice, toned up, sexy breasts.

Sagging doors [ 6 Answers ]

I am the maintenance person at a local school and have come across a problem with some side by side double steel doors that seem to sag so bad they don't want to close now, they rub together on top. All th hinges seem to be tight I even replaced one top one thinking maybe the pin could be wore out...

View more questions Search