Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Andreay1966 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2017, 02:52 PM
    Relinquishing Parental Rights
    I have had my granddaughter since she was 6 weeks old . I went to court and they gave me custody and her mother supervised visits which she has not done. My granddaughter has not seen her since 2011. Now I feel she has had enough time to do her visits no phone calls or anything. So now it time to give up her rights. My granddaughter is 9 years old now. She call me momma. I do not have money to get a lawyer so I will have to do it myself. Need help with papers I my need to file
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 23, 2017, 03:55 PM
    You will find out that these days, as each year goes by, courts are more and more determined to keep the bio parent in the picture.
    I'm wondering (gently) if you are fed up with your daughter for some reasons that get a little complicated.
    Your granddaughter, perhaps, is wondering about why she doesn't see her real mother? If not, she will soon enough.
    My advice is to be glad for the years you have had together, feel sad about your daughter, and let the subject rest.
    I hope you can talk to her about it without being bitter about her mother.
    It's better for all 3 of you.
    In 2, 3, 4 years, she may be very strongly wishing she could see her mother, and I hope you can accept that that is natural, and not try to stop it.
    For ALL your sakes.

(Your daughter would have to agree to give up her visitation, unless she's in prison, etc. Even then sometimes the court won't stop them! Laws and forms and procedures vary by state. Start at your local courthouse. It may be good to see what they are like, and maybe a clerk will give you some idea about how difficult it is without a lawyer.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 23, 2017, 07:57 PM
    Being blunt and honest, it is not going to happen without an attorney

Next even with an attorney it is not easy, most courts will not take rights away, because also there is obligations, such as child support.

If you were to adopt, then the court may allow the adoption, and for her and the bio father to sign away their rights for an adoption to happen.

But this is not going to happen without attorneys.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 24, 2017, 05:49 AM
    Have you even talked to a few attorneys to see if you have a chance, and what the costs will be? Filing the proper papers, in the proper court, the proper way isn't cheap either. Then there is the matter of documenting your side of this issue, notifying the proper people of a court appearance and such. Heaven forbid they fight you on this, or worse, seek custody themselves.

Getting someone to give up their parental rights is a bigger deal than you think, and way beyond just filing a piece of paper at the clerks office. Do your research and LEATN what's needed in your location, maybe check NOLO.com, or Google HOW TO... in your browser, and see if you can find information that applies to you.

Or better yet, start saving for a lawyer, which would be my recommendation, to guide you through a very complex, expensive legal process. Taking away parental rights has to be the most difficult, if not impossible cases to bring to court. Being mad at your daughter for whatever reason doesn't make this the time to even try such a tactic you are ill equipped to do yourself, and cannot afford a lawyer.

I have seen this backfire even with a GREAT lawyer, and plenty of money in your pocket. Think YEARS of court battles, and not just a court appearance or two before a judge. At least seek out your local legal aid society and get some direction in this if you can.

I can understand your feelings, but you better have a lot more to win in a court of law.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Relinquishing parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

My son fathered a child 18 months ago, He was just contacted by family services to pay child support. Because paternity was a question a test was done and it was confirmed that he was the father. The mother does not want him to have anything to do with the child and wants him to relinquish...

Relinquishing my parental rights [ 9 Answers ]

Is it possible to relinquish my parental rights? My 15 year old daughter won't stay out of trouble and I don't want to be responsible for bringing her back into our home each time she is released from juvenile detention. I've had to pay for her lawyer, court costs, probation fees, missed time...

Relinquishing parental rights [ 3 Answers ]

I just found out that the paternity of my youngest child is in question. So Because the father is months behind in child support I want him to relinquish his rights for the support the child in question. So where does he go to fill out this info at and or can it be downloaded from the internet,...

Relinquishing parental rights [ 4 Answers ]

The father of my children is not involved with them at all. Lives in a different state and rarely even calls and never paid child support. How can I go about having him giving up his rights? We have discussed this when he called 4 months ago. Just don't know how to go about it.

Relinquishing Parental Rights [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am a father of two children in the state of Virginia. At this time I will need to relinquish my parental rights to their mother. Please advise the first steps in this process. Thanks, CB

View more questions Search