Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    firelikeiya Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2017, 10:51 AM
    Straps from concrete foundation to wood frame rusted out
    Hello,

I recently purchased a 10 year old home. I treated the house for termites which involved digging a trench around the perimeter. When I dug the trench, concrete from the foundation came off in two different locations. Each maybe a 6"x6" portion that happened to cover straps in the foundation that connect to the wood framing of the house. The metal straps appear to be highly corroded to the point of failure. Is this anything to be concerned about? Are these straps only for initial construction?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2017, 11:50 AM
    Those are tie straps from the foundation to the wall plate. They are permanent and are designed to hold the wall to the foundation. There isn't much you can do without tearing open the wall and use another type of tie. I would get some concrete patching compound and fill in the bad spots.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 22, 2017, 02:27 PM
    Get 3 estimates, or more, from local contractors who do foundation work, and you will at least have FACTS to address your concerns, and make a decision for a plan going forward. I don't even know what you mean by highly corroded and at the point of failure is since the nature of metal is to take on a coating of rust over time with exposure. Crumbling foundations though is something to be concerned about, and remedied immediately.

Even new homes are subject to settling and shifting, but you should at least explore at some future time all that happens in the home you just bought, and the options to maintain it. So NO, rusty straps in a 10 year old home would not be at the top of my concern list, or a priority for expensive replacement costs at this time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Solid wood mirror frame [ 2 Answers ]

I have a vintage solid wood gold gilt mirror. It's 15 1/2 x 29in . The sticker on the back says Borin creators of Mirrors and Framed Pictures. Number 2509 Borin MFG Co. Chicago New York We have had it for 50 years and I believe it was maybe old when when given to us. It has been in the family....

Pour concrete adjacent to house, how high should new concrete be to house foundation [ 1 Answers ]

I will be pouring concrete for a patio, concrete will be next to house foundation, the house has a metal around the outside wall, what measurement should I have new concrete not to obstruct the function of the metal piece in the outside wall?

Exposed Wood Foundation, What to do, WHO to call. [ 4 Answers ]

I posted this message a few weeks back but really didn't get the answer I was looking for as I think I over talked and people were confused. Not to mention a week went by before I realized the notice that my question had been answered was going into my junk mail folder. OK! I just bought this...

Block Foundation on Frame Garage [ 4 Answers ]

I have a sixty-five year old frame garage. It currently has a block foundation which is only visible about 3 inches above the finished grade. In some parts of the yard which have been re-graded, the finish grade is actually above the block foundation and against the siding of the garage. My...

Bsmt rough in.re:wood frame in concrete where tub piping is located. [ 3 Answers ]

My home was roughed in for a basement bathroom when it was built and I'm now in the process of finishing the bsmt. There is a wood 12"x14" frame in the concrete where the bathtub piping is located a few inches under the gravel. The wood frame is not flush with the concrete and sticks up a...

View more questions Search