Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SteveMatrix Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 20, 2017, 08:48 AM
    Bolting wood to steel beams
    I need to bolt 2x8s to an 8" steel beam. I am going to use 1/2" bolts. Can I drill 1/2" holes in the beam or would that be too tight to get the bolts through?

Thank.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2017, 07:25 AM
    You can use a 1/2". If it is too tight you can use a step drill or taper reamer to open the hole a bit. Filing with a rat tail file would also work.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 21, 2017, 08:40 AM
    I agree, or drill your holes 7/16ths to begin with. Make sure you use flat washer on the wood side and a flat, and lock washer on the nut side. What is this for?

Aug 21, 2017, 10:39 AM
    Thanks ma0641 and talaniman. This is a residential remodel. We're removing bearing walls and replacing them with steel beams. Beams go in the joist space so the wood is for blocking to reconnect to existing joists.

7/16" is too small. I was considering 9/16" just so I don't have to ream 40 holes. The blocking is going to be resting on the bottom flange of the beam (W8X40) anyway. I just wasn't sure if loose bolts would compromise the integrity of the beams. Here is a picture.

Do either of you have any experience working with steel beams?
    Expert

Aug 21, 2017, 02:04 PM
    My bad, I surely meant 9/16ths, and there are a few ways to get away from all that hole drilling for wood filler. They have a few joist hanging methods to consider.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?q...10&FORM=IDBQDM

Anchoring a wood plank on top of the I beam allows for a variety of joist hangers to be used.

Expert

Aug 21, 2017, 02:44 PM

This would be my preference unless a structural engineer clears drilling holes.

Aug 22, 2017, 07:34 AM
    There's no room to put anything on top of the beam. Holes are not a problem, as the steel fabricator is doing it. Thanks for the input.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 22, 2017, 07:37 AM
    Well, if the fabricator is punching the holes, the answer is easy.
    Expert

Aug 22, 2017, 11:37 AM
    I was under the impression you were doing this yourself, and in the planning stages of this project, but if you have a contractor it's likely going to be already planned out with their own tried and true methods of operation. The size of the beams used are determined by the loads they carry taking into account the number of holes that had to be drilled into them to accommodate any extra tie ins like the joists, or even other load bearing beam, or structures.

In my experience this was always laid out after the job was scoped out, and an estimate was prepared for the client, which always included a bill of materials and labor, plus time. Just curious as to what are your concerns in regards to the way your contractor is doing things?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What type of I steel beams do I use [ 0 Answers ]

I am having my basement finished. I currently have 9.5 by 5.5 supports. There are 4 lolli columns in between every 6 feet to support that. The room is 25by 25. I have a kitchen above that and above the kitchen is a large deck. What size I beams do I use... size and pounds per square foot.

Rerouting plumbing in a basement with steel I beams [ 2 Answers ]

I have a house that was built with steel I beam supports in the basement. I want to change the bathroom in the basement as well as move the laundry room to the 1st floor. How do I change the plumbing when there are steel I beams every 16 inches?

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 1 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

Do wood boring beetles leave round damaged holes in your attic wood beams? [ 0 Answers ]

I have infestations of various insects in my all wood frame house. I'm trying to figure the different types of damaged wood. I'm familiar with the drywood and subterranean termite wood damage but not the actual wood damage of beetles. Do you have any home remedies for any of the above?

View more questions Search