Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MariaE Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2017, 03:03 PM
    Leaky pipe
    I have a leak in my driveway. It's tripling my water bill. I called for two estimates and both want to replace all of my pipes. There are no other leaks, from what the second guy mistakenly told me. I do not have the money to do this. I don't want to get ripped off. My house was built in 69,and I have copper pipes
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 18, 2017, 03:56 PM
    Keep calling until you find someone who will do what you want. However,

1. "There are no other leaks, from what the second guy mistakenly told me".
    2. How do you know that? You may have copper inside but copper from the meter to the house? The water line should have been in dirt, under the slab. A leak detecting service may be able to pinpoint the leak, cut the slab and then repair the leak. Not a cheap repair.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 18, 2017, 05:23 PM
    I agree, call a few more guys until you find one who will fix the ONE leak you have. That won't be cheap I can tell you, but neither is finding the money for that triple water bill.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2017, 09:56 AM
    I agree with both experts it is not an easy and cheap job, good luck

John
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 19, 2017, 10:25 AM
    Sorry about your situation. Yes, indeed, it is expensive to replace water main.

You can hire inexpensive laborer to excavate trench, and have plumber to come over just to run new pipe. Hopefully, you can by-pass concrete driveway so you don't have to cut and replace concrete, too. This way you may cut the cost down by half. But still, will cost you some money

Some plumbing companies will work with you . You can arrange payment schedule with them

Other than that, it will be difficult to do such job without at least some budget available for repairs

Have you try to call handyman ? Or retired plumber ? Also, can try to go to your local "mom & pop's" hardware store and ask the old guy who sits by the cash registers, dressed in overalls. Every hardware store has one. This guy has solution to every problem

Let us know how you did

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to fix a leaky pipe that is on my tub [ 6 Answers ]

I removed the shower diverter because the pipe that sticking out from the wall is leaking and it is getting worse and worse, on the end of the pipe is a nipple or something that has a alan wrench screw that is able to be removed but does not help with the pipe. How can I fix the leaky pipe?

Is this a leaky pipe or not? [ 7 Answers ]

So I've had water damage on two ceilings for a while now and the water only leaks when someone uses the third floor bathroom (toilet, sink, and bath). I was wondering if it's two leaky pipes or something else because the water leaks in about the same spot on two different levels. Thanks

Leaky pipe [ 2 Answers ]

Just one more problem. We have a pipe that leaks a little, enough to make a round circle on our drop ceiling. It is wrapped with black insullation. We plan on going to the hardware store to get some stuff I believe is called dope putty. I saw my plumber use it once to stop our toilet pipe...

Leaky pipe [ 2 Answers ]

My wife and I just took possession of a house and when we did our final inspection we fond that there was a cracked pipe that leaked water when the upstairs toilet was flushed.the pipe in question is located in the basement.it comes out of the wall and goes into the ground.the pipe was repaired but...

Leaky pipe [ 7 Answers ]

My water supply line pipe to toilet is leaking how do I fix it

View more questions Search