Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    caroln242 Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2017, 05:08 PM
    Sealant on top of grout sealer
    We have a house that has 2 bathrooms. In one bathroom the floor tile looks like it has some sort of protectant sealer over the grout sealer. It's real slick and has turned a little yellowish over the years. It's almost like someone smeared caulk over the grout. It doesn't crack or split or chunk out or anything. It's fine.In the other bathroom we had to replace some tiles and we re-grouted the area and sealed the grout twice. The grout is fine except that there are several grout lines that seems to "grab" dirt and turn really black and I have to use a toothbrush and a bleach cleaner to get it clean. Not all the grout does that, just a few lines. I scrubbed it clean and sealed it again - twice, and it's still grabbing the dirt in certain areas. I can't figure out why the dirt collects just on certain lines of grout even though I sealed it 4 times.My question is, does anyone know what might be the sealant over the grout sealer in the first bathroom? (This would have been done back in the 80's I think, judging by the age of the house). I would like to use that in the second bathroom over all the grout to keep the dirt from building up on the grout lines that I'm having trouble with.If anyone asks, it's a sanded grout used for ceramic tile. I don't know the brand but we've bought it at Lowe's for several different projects and never had an issue before. Thanks in advance for any replies!
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Sep 1, 2017, 06:41 AM
    It sounds like you have a mold problem.

I would remove the grout from the problem area, treat with a mold killer and redo grout. Be sure to give enough curing time before sealing.

Chuck

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sealant [ 3 Answers ]

I have a stucco house that has wood protruding at certain points, and I need to reseal the points where the wood meets the stucco. What kind of sealant should I use seal to these areas?

New shower grout is wet, contractor says weep holes are not needed, it is the grout [ 2 Answers ]

We recently had our bathroom shower redone and are noticing that the grout On the floor does not dry out. It takes over a week for the grout to dry. We have sealed the floor several times. Is it possible that the grout is defective or is it a drainage problem? Are weep holes around the drain...

Shower sealant [ 1 Answers ]

I have a space between the floor in the shower and the wall, which leaks down into my 1/2 bath in the family room. How can I fix this problem ?

Can I use Grout Boost with Polyblend Grout [ 7 Answers ]

Is it OK to use Grout Boost with Polyblend sanded grout. The grout package only mentions water as an addative.

Can you grout tile using a special grout caulking gun? [ 2 Answers ]

Where can I buy a special caulking gun that uses commercial tile grout? I have some 20" X 20" interior wall tile to grout and would like to avoid making a huge mess in my kitchen. This method, if available, would seem to be a good, clean solution. Ralph

View more questions Search