Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mmangiaratti Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2017, 10:46 AM
    Ozone Generator Reactions, family in danger
    Hi,

I was trying to get some bad smells out of my clothes so I ran an ozone generator in the family garage with the clothes inside a box. The odor seems to be better on the clothes but now my whole family is having respiratory problems. My father, who is already in poor health has a persistent severe cough. I think there may have been a reaction between the ozone and the mothball odor in my dad's classic car.

Anyway, I am desperate for answers as to what exactly is the chemical byproduct, how do I test for it and how do I get rid of it. Please help.

Thanks
    Mark
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 16, 2017, 12:33 PM
    Keep in mind that mothballs are a toxic fumigant. Could it be that your father is reacting to the mothballs themselves, as opposed to some chemical bi-product of the napthalene or paradichlorobenzene in the mothballs and ozone? I'm guessing here, but it may be that the ozone caused an increase in the rate of volitization of the mothball chemical into the air, which could indeed cause respiratory issues, especially in an enclosed space like a car.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 16, 2017, 02:03 PM
    My first thought is get rid of the ozone machine and find a more conventional way to freshen your clothes. Like one of those laundry additives for the washer.

https://tide.com/en-us/how-to-wash-c...FURbDAod008CGg
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 17, 2017, 11:54 AM
    As far as you and your family are concerned, start with a medical check for allergens. This will let you know what you can eliminate, and use in your home, besides the obvious. You shouldn't leave it to guess work, since it may well be a combination of things that can affect us.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ioner or ozone generator [ 4 Answers ]

I had some tenants who skipped out of my investment condo leaving it a total disaster. I had to remove all wallpaper, refloat the walls, repaint and toss all the furniture and carpets. Despite all this, the place still reeks of stale cigarette smoke that is in the ventilation system. The...

My child is a danger to my family and I! [ 9 Answers ]

I need help! The law says they can't put my daughter in jdc , I can't have her live with me, she has attacked me, and each of my other children. What do I do? Please help!

Unethical landlord is putting my family in danger [ 6 Answers ]

I recently just moved in with my boyfriend in, what we thought was a nice, roomy, but older apartment. We have only lived there for a month, and the first week we were there found several bugs that looked much like ticks.. . But not quite. I've grew up in a rural community, so definitely know a...

Air "purifiers": Ozone generator vs. Ionizer [ 6 Answers ]

I use a commercial ozone generator for stinky apartments. I know they make models for everyday use so I'm thinking of one for a resident in a small 1-BR apt. Should I consider an ionizer (like this or this)instead? If so, why? I'm finding lots of info about each type - but nothing good...

View more questions Search