Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kingsmolen Posts: 16, Reputation: 1

Aug 14, 2017, 06:09 PM
    House burnt down,do I have a case?
    I was renting a room out in California. I had no idea that you could have renters insurance for Renting a small space so I didn't have any. I believe that the landlord claimed all my stuff and In his insurance claim.The fire department said that the fire was accidental and that they do not have a source. I do know that the house had faulty wiring. Do I have a case? Also he did not report that he had renters
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Aug 14, 2017, 06:55 PM
    Not really, you had the right and ability to have your own insurance, also if you knew there was faulty wiring, when did you inform the landlord about it prior to the fire ?

There is no basis for a claim against the landlord.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2017, 08:07 PM
    What is your basis of liability? How did YOU know it had faulty wiring? Are you an electrician? Not reporting renters might have tax implications but not liability.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 15, 2017, 12:32 AM
    I say you have a case just by virtue of the fact that you lived there and didn't cause the fire. Sue in Small Claims.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 15, 2017, 05:53 AM
    I too think you might have a claim against the landlord depending on the worth of your loss. What do you estimate that to be? Be aware though that if you had lost things of value, then it should have been insured by you. Ignorance of that is no excuse. The landlord is not liable for your ignorance of your options or neglect to protect your possessions.

I don't see you recovering much if you recover anything.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 15, 2017, 08:26 AM
    When you sue you are claiming that someone is liable due to negligence on their part. Unless you can prove the landlord was aware of the faulty wiring and did nothing there is no negligence.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 15, 2017, 03:00 PM
    There is a twist to this that we need the answer to. You stated that the owner had claimed your things on their insurance. How do you know this? If that is true then the owner may owe you for that portion that was recovered from the insurance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Burnt smell in house [ 1 Answers ]

We just got a really bad wiff of a burnt plastic smell in our room, we opened our bedroom door and can smell it throughout our townhome all the way into the furnace room. The furnace is making a loud sound and the pipe is hotter than usual. Could this be the motor?

Burnt dust smell that comes and goes in house [ 1 Answers ]

For over a year our dining room and guest room (directly above) has had a strange odor that comes and goes. The smell always lingers but varies in intensity throughout the room at different times. The smell is difficult to describe but the closes thing I could compare is dust on a lightbulb or...

I want to file a small claim case against an auction house via the internet [ 4 Answers ]

Greetings. I purchased a lot of antique beaded purses from an auction house and they described the items as 'beading superb'. When they arrived there were numerous holes and significant beading missing and stained. It was fraudulent description in order to entice a bid. I contacted the auction...

I burnt eggs in a non stick pan and burnt the bottom how do I clean it [ 3 Answers ]

I burnt the inside botton of a non stick teflon pan while cooking eggs.what can I do to clean the pan

Can someone put a lien on my house while the case is pending? [ 1 Answers ]

I have a lawsuit against me in NY that is absurd not only by my standards but my lawyer as well. In the papers they are threatening to put a lien on my house. I was under the impression that this cannot be done until there is a judgement. Can it be done before there is a decision. Also my house...

View more questions Search