Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jammy23 Posts: 545, Reputation: 0

Aug 12, 2017, 08:31 PM
    Wills
    I'm 99% the answer is no... but can one learn if they are really in someone's will
    Or beneficiary to their IRS?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 12, 2017, 08:44 PM
    Can they? Yes with probate or if the will holder is willing to show you. I assume you also mean IRA. Your question begs a WHY?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 13, 2017, 02:18 AM
    No. You will probably have to wait like the rest of us.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 13, 2017, 07:44 AM
    I have known people that were told, or thought, they had something coming to them from a person, only to find out NOTHING was left to them. So my answer is NO!

Don't worry about it until they die, and whatever the outcome after probate, don't worry about it then either.
    HotDawg Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 16, 2017, 06:52 AM
    Yeh you can. It's up to them to show you/tell you.

You can't be a beneficiary to a will if you've witnessed it though. There is then a conflict of interests. There are exceptions, but the general rule is that if you've witnessed and attested a will, you will not be a beneficiary. Saying that, you would've read the will so it should be obvious.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Aug 18, 2017, 09:29 AM
    The only examples I am aware of where a beneficiary can be certain of his/her status is with retirement accounts (pension plan, IRas, 401k's and 403b's) and with accounts held jointly with rights of survivorship. By law one's spouse MUST be the beneficiary of his/her retirement account UNLESS the spouse signs a waiver relinquishing her/his right as a beneficiary. For all other cases - non spousal beneficiaries of retirement plans, beneficiaries of other financial accounts not jointly held, and heirs specified in wills - there is no notice made to beneficiaries prior to the death of the account holder.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wills and name changes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. To cut a long story short... My parents never married and I was given my mothers surname. I have recently found out that my dad has terminal cancer and has made a will stating whatever as my current name. I have always wanted to change my name to my fathers surname but it would...

Wills [ 5 Answers ]

My sister passed away last October, she had been in the hospital for 4 days and her step sons never called to let us know. They finally called on the 4th day and told us she had passed away. My brother and I have been told by the 2 step sons that she had a will, now we are hearing from her closest...

Law wills [ 9 Answers ]

My Grandfather who raised me provided for me in his will . Him and my Grandmother had a will where everything was left to him and when he died everything was to be sold and divided among 4 Grandchildren. Grandfather and 2nd wife made new will that left things to me and her Daughter. 2nd wife ad...

Does any one know about wills? [ 24 Answers ]

Is it legal in North Carolina to make a will leaving real property to someone other than your spouse with out the knowledge and consent of said spouse?

Wills [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Recently my grandma passed away. She had a will and she appointed an executor to carry out her last wishes. Due to family conflict the executor has decided to step back and allow an attorney to carry out the will. Now I know that all of the bank accounts have beneficiary desingation however...

View more questions Search