Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beyluta Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2017, 11:58 AM
    How do programmers work?
    I love programming, I have bought many programming books (mostly C++) and have practiced a bunch online on various IDE's and websites such as sololearn.com and even worked as a software developer for a day.

Despite all that I still have questions about how programmers work, what are they supposed to know about the programming languages?
    Are they expected to know all the complex stuff behind the IDE they work with?
    What if they have questions themselves?
    Are they required to know more than one programming language?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Aug 13, 2017, 02:24 AM
    Yep, they need to have a thorough knowledge of the languages they're working with. Very few self taught people are prepared for anything but hobbiest type work. The few that are would, would be actual prodigies.

If you want to work in this field, get the actual schooling for it and the degree.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 13, 2017, 05:32 AM
    I spent many years around programmers from about 1980 onward, and can tell you that it's like singing - some are absolutely terrible, and a FEW are true geniuses. Most are in between. They get the job done, but not without irritating mistakes that you and I run into every time we try to buy something or pay a bill or register a car. The boring jobs get the mediocre programmers.

The geniuses don't really need much training. The average programmer does.

Have you tried the all free online Kahn Academy?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 13, 2017, 09:43 AM
    I have to agree with above excellent people. My son lives and works in the Netherlands; after living and working in Germany. He is an excellent programmer and IT consultant and worked very hard to learn, train, whatever it took, to be excellent in his field. He is Canadian by the way. Had to get that in folks ! He didn't come from a well off family, but we did the best we could for him, because we knew what he wanted to achieve.

If you have a feel for this type of work, then do all you can, learn all you can to achieve excellence in what you want to do.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Aug 13, 2017, 03:34 PM
    Here is the thing. Most programmers are not stand alone people. They work within a team. Most programs require being split in order to write it. So your really dealing with a section and not the entire thing until you assemble it. How to questions are frowned upon because you are already suppose to know what your doing.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 14, 2017, 07:13 AM
    As a Developer, you don't need to have memorized all the syntax of the language you work with or all the features of the IDE you work with. But you do need to understand all the concepts and know where to get the answers for the things you don't have memorized. For example, I am constantly looking up the syntax for functions I need.

It depends on the job, most programmers are expert in one language but may know several.
    CravenMorhead Posts: 4,532, Reputation: 1065
    Adult Sexuality Expert

Aug 14, 2017, 07:38 AM
    The languages are the easy part it is the actual concepts behind programming that required and difficult to learn. Learning them requires many, many, many years of study. It can be learned outside of a school, but it will take a while to learn all the concepts.

The thing with programming is that there's a million ways to do accomplish a single goal. The quality of the programmer will determine how good the solution is. There are a lot of subtle mistakes that can be made.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Need file sharing software that is cheap, secure fast & easy for non-programmers. [ 1 Answers ]

I'm not a techie person, I've just been tasked with finding software that can help transfer files to outside organizations with file size greater than a few gigabytes.

Is Scrum Master certification a must for programmers in future? [ 0 Answers ]

There is so much buzz about Scrum and Agile. Should I choose Scrum certification or Agile certification as a programmer? Which will boost my career?

Old Sitcom about IT/computer programmers in an office [ 3 Answers ]

There was an old sitcom from years ago that was set in an office environment. It was centered around IT/computer programming. I remember the manager / head IT guy that kept talking about writing a 'killer app'. I think it was very shortlived.

View more questions Search