Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2017, 02:56 PM
    Sunken Living Room
    Person has a living room that is carpeted. Party wants to tile the room.
    Currently it sits on wood, underneath is cement slab in good shape. Only
    Problem there is a foot drop after you remove the wood. You would have to step down.
    It would be a big task to pour cement and level the floor. Cement boards I guess wouldn’t raise the floor enough. Any ideas
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 11, 2017, 02:59 PM
    Why would the wood have to be removed?
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Aug 11, 2017, 03:55 PM
    The wood platform is very old and bad in places after 60 years
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 11, 2017, 04:05 PM
    Replace it with a new wood platform.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2017, 08:29 PM
    Either replace the wood, install backer board and tile, OR remove the floor, make a 2 step landing and tile over the concrete. If floor removal puts any exterior door threshold above the floor level do not do it as any water coming in would not get out. Today, most people buying houses with sunken rooms fill them in to regular floor level. Watch "Fixer Upper."
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 12, 2017, 05:51 AM
    Gut it down to the concrete. Apply a vapor barrier well sealed without a single hole from nails or anything.
    Build a pressure treated platform of 16" apart joists, and subfloor of your choice for the tile. The trick will be to get the edges exactly level with the 4 sides. The tiles may crack there no matter how careful you are, assuming you are extending out over the edges with tiles.

A problem with any of this is the air space under the raised floor - in warm damp climates, it will have all the same problems with moisture and bugs that the old one had, even with some help from the vapor barrier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If renting a room and living with landlord, does he have a right to enter my room? [ 1 Answers ]

If renting a room and living with landlord, does he have a right to enter my room?

I unplugged my living room television. Now I have no power in living room. [ 2 Answers ]

I unpluged my living roon television now I have no poweer in living room

Novel - about living in a sunken ship [ 3 Answers ]

From 40 years ago, or more, maybe? Small group of people figure out how to survive for years (more than one generation) in a sunken vessel. I remember they used a bicycle for generating electricity. Seems like "below" or "under" was in the title, but I can't find by searching those terms. Not the...

Have odd floor,sunken living room and family room and want it all one level [ 3 Answers ]

My living room and family room are sunken with ceramic tile on top, How would I make it one leverl?

Circuit breaker OK, but no electricity in living room/dining room [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 100 year old farm home. The lights went out in living room and dining room Thanksgiving night. The circuit breaker appears normal and the panel is OK. What went wrong?

View more questions Search