Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Gracelesslady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 9, 2017, 01:34 PM
    Drain Flies
    How do I get rid of drain flies with muriatic acid ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 9, 2017, 05:36 PM
    Muriatic acid may or may not work. Muriatic acid is very corrosive and can cause severe skin burns. Be careful using it. In essence, you just pour it into the drain. Some people believe it is safer to pour some gel drain cleaner in the infected drain, cover the drain with plastic wrap and a cup or bowl to seal the opening. Others will pour a small amount of liquid Sevin into the drain, and seal as above.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Aug 10, 2017, 01:47 AM
    The muriatic acid method is a chemical way to scour the soap scum and other organic matter from the interior of the drain pipes where the fly eggs hatch and the larvae feed. As Ma0641 said, it is very corrosive.

Other methods for scouring those pipes include:

Taking the drain cover off and using a brush to physically scrub out the pipes

Using an enzyme based cleaner to biologically get rid of the scum

And, again as Ma0641 said, using a gel drain cleanser.

In any case, sealing the drain while your chosen method works will keep them from breeding more flies.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Drain Flies/Sewer Flies [ 24 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Someone mentioned that I should still pour water down the drain, is this true? Our sump pump is in the basement next...

Please help I've had enough of these drain flies [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I'm new and need advice before I go insane. These flies are driving me to the point of depression. I hate each new day and going to work as I don't know how many of these little blighters are going to be.. I had drain firm out as kept getting flies, they found fault elbow joint that is under...

How to get rid of drain flies? [ 0 Answers ]

I have had the horrible smell that something was dead in my home and nothing was to be found the smell went away after a couple of days and all these flies started appearing really bad in the guest bathroom and a little around the kitchen sink... how do I get rid of these flies and keep them from...

Drain Flies [ 1 Answers ]

We moved into this house almost 1 yr ago. At first I didn't notice the flies. We have a shower stall in our bathroom that is in our room. We noticed a leak and stopped using it. Our sump pump is in the basement next to our washer. It smelled pretty bad, and this is where we are noticing the...

Drain flies [ 4 Answers ]

I am having the drain fly problem in my house in New Jersey. The local pest company professionals identified these as drain flies. The house is 25 yrs old and on a slab. It is a ranch style with no basement. I have two bathrooms one with a shower and a tub. It has been 2 years since I bought...

View more questions Search