Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,019, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2017, 05:31 PM
    Toilet question
    Was told by a plumber that we have toilets that are 11" rough in. My understanding is that 12" is standard. Put in a 12" toilet and it BARELY fit. Another 1/4 inch and it would not, so I'm a little leary of trying it again for the second toilet. I can't find a toilet for an 11" roughin at Lowe's. Can get a 10". Is that what is normally done?

BTW, we are replacing these because our old ones are so stained by well water that they just won't clean anymore. We have a great filter now, so we want to put in new ones just to have a much better appearance.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Aug 7, 2017, 05:52 PM
    Someone might have measured from the bare wall instead of 12" from a finished wall. Rough ins can be a pain. In our new house, they did a 12" BUT, the stair layout and supports were put on the wrong side of the line so, I had an 8.5" rough!1 WHAT TO DO?? I cut the plate and put the drywall on the back side of the framing, making a wall recess. People say, "What a neat Niche". You can use a 12" or 10" or maybe look for a toilet with a different floor or back design that would give you an extra 1/4-1/2" clearance.
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Aug 7, 2017, 06:36 PM
    As said above, we measure 12" from rough ( from bare stud ) to the center of the closet ring. When you add drywall and baseboard to the measurement, it comes to around 11".

Use 12" on center toilet. Depending on tank and lid, you will end up with about 1/4" space between edge of the lid and the wall. 10" on center toilet will leave you with about 1 1/2" space between tank lid and the wall. Visually speaking, that doesn't look too good. The closer to the wall, the better.

Hope that helps

Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 7, 2017, 07:17 PM
    Barely fits means it is fitting. Once the tank lid is on the lid might touch or be 1/8" off the wall. From what you are saying you are good to go.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Question about toilet leaks [ 1 Answers ]

Just installed a new toilet and it does perfectly until we put the lid of the tank on, then it leaks at the base.

Toilet question [ 1 Answers ]

I have an Eljer corner toilet bowl that has broken, and a toilet tank that is intact. Can I replace the broken bowl with an intact one from another toilet? Are parts on toilets swappable like that? -T

Plumbing toilet question [ 4 Answers ]

Something has fell in toilet and it not flushing right somethng must be enlarged in it what ca n I do ti get it out beside taking toilet down?

Toilet Question [ 1 Answers ]

Jaydog109 New Member Join Date: Dec 2006 Posts: 0 Toilet Question -------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I read one of your replies about a toy being in the toilet and you stated that you could explain how to remove the toilet. I am...

Another toilet flange question [ 1 Answers ]

I read through all the questions and responses to various toilet flange problems and I think I found the solution from one of speedball1's responses, but let me summarize to make sure. I have a toilet in the basement which is over concrete. I pulled up the toilet and there is no flange. The...

View more questions Search