Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Aug 7, 2017, 11:32 AM
    Breaker will not reset
    Had a power outage about a week ago. After power came back on one of my breakers would not reset.

Is there an easy way to check from breaker panel to find where the short could be located.

Have checked all the outlets on that circuit by disconnecting the wires and trying to reset breaker. Am unable to determine where the wire from the breaker goes.

The wire is 3 wire 12 gauge. The black feeds one set of outlets and the red wire feeds another set of outlets this is in a kitchen. The black is working fine. It is the red wire I am having trouble with.

Thanks for any help you can give me.

Chuck
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Aug 7, 2017, 06:14 PM
    Chuck,

This sounds like you are describing a Multiwire (shared neutral) circuit.

It seems to me that you have an open neutral somewhere in the circuit and you are dumping 240 Vac across a 120 Vac line.
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2017, 04:10 AM
    when you reset the breaker does it "pop" and shut off?
    that would indicate a short...
    If some of the receptacles don't work you have another problem. In the order of most
    likely (in my opinion) remove all the receptacles that are not working and check the connections. Along with that, check any splices you find in the receptacle boxes. If you can measure voltage on the output of the circuit breaker, continue measuring until it disappears...the problem is then close by.
    Do you have a voltage tester? Avoid using digital testers, use what's called a solonoid tester as you will rarely ever get a false reading.
    Don't forget us!!! Write back tell us how you are making out
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Aug 8, 2017, 05:03 AM
    Just gave donf and hfcarson greenies. I sometimes forget to appreciate the experts in the building trades. My very first question here was about wiring a new cooktop. Stratmando gave me the directions (the colors of the wires didn't match the ones in the junction box.) Saved me $$$ and it was done in 10 minutes, and I didn't burn the house down.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 8, 2017, 06:53 AM
    Since the Black circuit is good, appears neutral is good. And with both sharing same neutral, they will run together most, or part of the way. Could be in any of the dead outlets, or in a box with the black wire. You can open boxes and check for voltage/short. But sometimes a quick way is have someone stand in the kitchen, reset breaker, they may be able to see or hear the location of the short. Good Luck. Let us know what you find
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2017, 10:46 AM
    Thanks all . Will try finding box closes to the panel box . I know if I disconnect the wires the short will disappear back to the panel if the wire is good. Just have not been able to find that first box. Guess I will just have to keep searching.

Whom ever own this house before me did not believe in putting anything in junction(1900) boxes. I spent 3 days in attic over kitchen putting wires into boxes. Wires where put together with tape and laid on insulation. It gave me a good scare.

Will let you know how I do. Thanks again

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Aug 8, 2017, 10:56 AM
    Oohh...flying splices,
    that gave me a chill...
    Take your time and think it through logically! If you find yourself near the panel and the short is nearby but there are no more boxes....is there a splice buried in the wall?
    Good luck and be safe,
    Uber Member

Aug 11, 2017, 08:53 AM
    Remember to turn off red and black wire breaker, see what is lost. Check those boxes.
    With power off, you can sometimes find a short by measuring resistance in each receptacle.
    Do you know if it is a short to neutral, or a short to ground? Good Luck
    Uber Member

Aug 14, 2017, 09:03 AM
    If you have a Tic Tracer or equivalent. You could turn off all breakers, except that Black circuit that is shared with the red. And look(listen) for that live circuit, have seen Romex connectors so tight, they short the circuit. Good Luck.
    Ultra Member

Aug 14, 2017, 12:21 PM
    I do have a sound tracer. Just got to find it.Haha. Have not needed to use it in 15 years.

The size of romex can give an idea about wire inside. Don't know how to determine that size.The one coming out of the panel box is behind the wall finish.

Chuck
    Uber Member

Aug 16, 2017, 02:34 PM
    I meant to sat to use in the Attic, when you find it.
    A Tone Generator, and Inductive Amp could do it as well, You would remove wire from breaker, add Tone.
    Ultra Member

Aug 18, 2017, 11:44 AM
    Thanks Stratmando

I found the other end of the wire, at last. I could kill the guy that wire this. It's in my laundry room in the ceiling but behind a wall.

Before I run new wire am going to have to move the box from there to the inside of laundry room ceiling.

Will have to turn off house to do that.

Thanks for all the help. Will let you know when I am done

Chuck
    Uber Member

Aug 21, 2017, 07:28 AM
    Great you found it. I hate working after Bad work. I seem to have to do a lot of it.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2017, 07:49 AM
    This is just an update.

The short is between 2 outlets which is end of line. Outlet with short is wired to the good circuit in that box other box wired as it was in the past , with 2 circuits.

Now all I have to do is fix the mess I made getting it done.

Thanks for all the help.

Chuck
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2017, 08:00 AM
    ahh...the sweet smell of success
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2017, 09:23 AM
    Good Deal, Have you done Continuity test between the conductors connecting the 2 shorted outlets? It may be a Staple? if not a Romex connector too tight?
    Do you have power to all outlets but one?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Breaker won't reset [ 2 Answers ]

I was changing the light switches in the bedroom with the breaker off and now it won't reset. Even with the light switches out with no load on the wires the breaker won't reset

Circuit breaker will not reset [ 3 Answers ]

Electrical storm caused my breaker#19 controlling hall, bathroom electrical switches etc. to have a red line. The breaker did not flip off, although I did shut it off and then back on... Can you help?

1 breaker causing another breaker to trip when I reset! What is This about? [ 5 Answers ]

I reset a breaker and it immediately trips its self and another breaker... this never happened before... if I reset 1 its OK but when I reset the other breaker they both trip... and these are 2 separate circuits... the 2 breakers are not even next to each other in the panel

GFI Circuit Breaker will not reset [ 3 Answers ]

I have a GFI Circuit Breaker connected to my outdoor wiring. After a very heavy storm the power to my holiday lights blew. I attempted to throw the GFI switch, but it will not reset. Do I need to replace it or am I doing something wrong. Also if it needs to be replaced, how difficult a job is it? ...

My circuit breaker won't reset [ 2 Answers ]

Hi All you electricians out there. A light bulb just blew in my living room. Normally I would just go down to the fuse box and reset the circuit breaker. Today the circuit breaker won't lift back into position. What does this mean... I would do almost anything not to have to pay for an...

View more questions Search