Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fairylady Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2017, 12:31 PM
    Temporaly Macaw
    My husband and I have had a blue and gold macaw for 30 years. My husbands Dr. asked me to placed him for 3 months until my husband is well. My vet offered to temporarily care for the bird. Is it a good or a bad idea to visit the bird during those 3 months?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 6, 2017, 12:45 PM
    I think I would visit as often as possible for as long as possible. Hope things work out for ALL of you.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Aug 18, 2017, 02:59 PM
    Birds are very much like dogs and cats when it comes to their people. If they're in a single bird home they form a strong bond with their people.

Having said that, I'm on the fence about visiting while he's at the vet. I know that you'll want to visit, and you'll also likely worry that he'll form a bond with the vet and forget about you, but that's unlikely to happen. I think that visiting may put stress on him because you're not taking him home with you after the visit.

I would play it by ear and eye. Visit and then ask the vet how he handled the visit. Was he stressed after the visit, did he start pulling his feathers out, or stop eating? If he seems unaffected by the visits than by all means keep going, but if he seems to be stressed by them then I'd stay away until it's time to bring him home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to temporaly disconnect a internet connection? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently running on Windows XP Home Edition.. If I want to temporaly disconnect my internet connection,it gives me a error message "It is not possible to disable the connection at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may...

View more questions Search