Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TrippleDot Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 31, 2017, 09:11 AM
    My thumb and arm hurt, help!
    Hi there, I won't lie, I'm 14 years old. Ive been gaming ever since I was about 4.

I usually stay on the PC (On days I stay at home) basically 9 hours. I probably game max 4 hours before I get bored and go to YouTube and watch videos.

My parents always told me to stop gaming, or at least moderate it. My mother told me that I should really stop gaming hours non-stop or I would end up like her friend's husband's nephew, who's hands shake uncontrollably.

I never really listened, until yesterday. Yesterday, July 30th 2017, I was playing a little bit of Team Fortress 2 on PC. I didn't game for a long time, since I've been playing the game for a while now. I played it basically everyday of summer when I had internet. (By the way, my summer started in May and ends now in August, in Puerto Rico.)

Anyway, I played for about 2 hours, and then, my thumb... it started to like hurt a little. It felt like I needed to stretch it. So I did, I streteched my left thumb, and my right thumb (They both have the problem) and It seems that when I woke up today, that my left thumb felt hurts less than my right thumb. It still hurts a bit though.

Also, my right arm felt like it was slightly shaking this morning... Can anybody help me fix these problems? Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to tell my parents, not yet.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 31, 2017, 09:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by TrippleDot View Post
    Hi there, I won't lie, I'm 14 years old. Ive been gaming ever since I was about 4.

I usually stay on the PC (On days I stay at home) basically 9 hours. I probably game max 4 hours before I get bored and go to YouTube and watch videos.

My parents always told me to stop gaming, or at least moderate it. My mother told me that I should really stop gaming hours non-stop or I would end up like her friend's husband's nephew, who's hands shake uncontrollably.

I never really listened, until yesterday. Yesterday, July 30th 2017, I was playing a little bit of Team Fortress 2 on PC. I didn't game for a long time, since I've been playing the game for a while now. I played it basically everyday of summer when I had internet. (By the way, my summer started in May and ends now in August, in Puerto Rico.)

Anyway, I played for about 2 hours, and then, my thumb... it started to like hurt a little. It felt like I needed to stretch it. So I did, I streteched my left thumb, and my right thumb (They both have the problem) and It seems that when I woke up today, that my left thumb felt hurts less than my right thumb. It still hurts a bit though.

Also, my right arm felt like it was slightly shaking this morning... Can anybody help me fix these problems? Is there anything I can do? I really don't want to tell my parents, not yet.

Patient: Doctor.. it hurts when I do this... (patient gesturing)

Doctor: Well I'd suggest not doing that.

You can take the advice others offered you and cut WAY back, and I mean a LOT..not just a little or you can end up with Carpal Tunnel Syndrome that's going to haunt you for life... or de Quervain's disease. Then you can kiss your gaming good bye.

Time you learn now...you aren't invincible...or immortal. And stuff doesn't just happen to old people. It happens to young ones too.

Make sure this is discussed at least at your next annual physical if you don't go sooner.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Aug 1, 2017, 07:52 AM
    You should at least tell your mom because getting off those games and doing other things will certainly help, plus moms know ways to ease the pain while you heal which could take a while. If you are trying to do this yourself which isn't that smart, then stay off the games, and use an icepack on your hand and elbow.

A smart guy tells mom and listens to the lecture that's sure to come. All you have to do is agree, and follow her directions, and it's all good young guy.
    ashurai Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2017, 12:28 AM
    First of all your mother told you absolutely right things, I know its hard to stop to playing game but as having pain you have to do less hours for playing game it will be helpful for you & along with it you can massage it with oil & do movement your tumb.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Does a cartilage piercing hurt? How bad does it hurt? [ 2 Answers ]

I have my ears pierced twice in both ears but this will be my first cartilage piercing, I am fine with pain but I think I am more scared than anything... # How much does it hurt and how long does it hurt/ache for after?

Thumb Strain [ 1 Answers ]

I believe I strained my thumb muscle. I was at the grocery store a week ago and pushing/steering my cart with one hand when I was using my other hand to talk on a cell phone. There was no blunt or sudden trauma to my thumb, but I have symptoms like a strained muscle. There is virtually no pain...

Deep cut on thumb [ 4 Answers ]

I cut my thumb across the top pretty deeply (slipped with a box knife). Stopped bleeding after about 24 hours but now skin over knuckle has no feeling at all and rest of thumb tingles. Also hurts when I bend it but I assume that is the skin just stretching. Is this OK or have I done some nerve...

Teeth hurt now throat starting to hurt [ 1 Answers ]

About a week ago, I started to get really bad tooth pains. I thought I chipped a tooth in my sleep. Later, my whole bottom jaw started hurting, then my top part of my mouth started hurting. At this point my whole my is hurting and about every tooth is real sensitive. I can't chew or drink cold...

Thumb Sucking [ 8 Answers ]

All of this talking about Aidan has made me think of a question I have been wanting to ask. How do I stop him from sucking his thumb? He has never been fond of pacifiers, but he loves his thumb. His thumbs are already all dried out and chapped from him doing this. My sister was a thumb sucker...

View more questions Search