Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Analore Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Quitting job / H1-B Visa status
    I want to know how long can I stay in the country if I resign to my job while being under the H1-B Visa status.
    v_atray Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2007, 07:08 AM
    I was laid off and it took me 2 months to find a new job. My H1-B was transferred and I was not even required to leave USA and get a new visa stamped.

INS has no hard and fast rule, it all depends on the person reviewing your case. Technically, you are out of status the very moment your employment ends. Do not try your luck with your visa status. Resign only when you have another offer in hand.
    sivabalu Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

May 9, 2007, 02:53 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Analore
    I want to know how long can I stay in the country if I resign to my job while being under the H1-B Visa status.
    Hi,

At any point of time you need an employer who will be your H1 holder. Its better to TRANSFER your H1 first before resigning.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

W-2 status for a contract job [ 2 Answers ]

I have been sent a contracting job description that gives a salary quote at W-2 status. Can you tell me what that is? I believe that I would have to pay taxes, insurance, etc. but not sure. Thanks!

F1 Visa Status to H1B Visa Status [ 0 Answers ]

I am student doing my Masters. I intend starting my OPT from October 1, 2007. An employer has agreed to file H1B for me after April 1, 2008. I guess my H1B Visa will be approved some time in June/July 2008. I want to know when will my status be changed from F1 to H1B. Will it be effective from the...

Job related expenses : visa fees [ 1 Answers ]

Dear Atlanta Tax Expert, A friend of mine told me she included immigration fees ( visa issuance, travel to home country for visa interview) in the job related expenses to get deductions ( if itemized deductions is better than standard). She said that she considers it a job expense ( which was...

View more questions Search