Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Socalstarter Posts: 65, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2017, 09:43 PM
    Timing marks
    Hello. Every one. The water pump of my 94 accord started leaking last night. I decided to change it today with the timing belt too. I am confused because when I removed the cover to see the marks I noticed the cam pulley points up but the crank one points at 11 pm, the oil pulp pulley is at 6 pm, the rear gear is good. I got this car about a year ago. It cranks just good and runs good (no shaking or out of time) but when the temperatures reach normal the rpms went to cero in idle (car doesn't stall or shakes) I've been checking the book and it says the cam and crank pulley have to point up. Does some one know why if the marks seem to be off I did not have any issues other than tbe rpms going to cero. Thank you
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 23, 2017, 04:18 AM
    The simplest explanation is a previous mechanic didn't read the book, but got it to run. A more common thing than you can imagine with an old school vehicle. Obviously you aren't the first one to make repairs on this vehicle. Don't be confused, decide if you will do it by the book, or just follow what the last guy did.

Garage/alley mechanics often take shortcuts and modify what they think are unneeded or expensive by the book stuff that manufacturers recommend as the accepted standard.

Jul 23, 2017, 06:52 AM
    You right talaniman. I will go for what my previous experience and the book tell me is best. I got the car like 9 months ago and it had a lot of things to fix, which I have been fixing. Transmission, all door handles, broken passenger's window motor, cluster and dimmer switch. Good thing I got it for only 300. Motor is strong. I did a compressikn test and I got 182, 182, 185, and 182. Thank you for you answdr
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2017, 07:52 AM
    If you go to "fixya.com" and enter 1994 Accord timing marks, you will find a very detailed description of how things line up. This includes oil pump and balance shaft timing marks.

Jul 23, 2017, 09:40 AM
    Is the rpm's dropping to zero part of the off timing alignment?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Timing marks [ 1 Answers ]

I can't seem to find the timing marks on a dodge 360. I have located the mark on the harmonic balancer,but can't find the ones on the block. Thank you.

Timing marks on B&S [ 0 Answers ]

I have a briggs and stratton 12.5 and trying to figure out the timing marks to put it back together.Replaced the connecting rod nothing else was broke.

Timing marks for jeep 4.7 v8 [ 2 Answers ]

I took chain off a 2000 jeep grand Cherokee 4.7L V8 by removing one of the pins as you would a bicycle chain. At any rate I did not remove the camshaft gear so the 2 cams are still in sync. Now when I put this back to gether how should I line up the crank shaft and the main camshaft gear?

I changed the timing belt on 92 honda accord put all timing marks where they belong [ 2 Answers ]

I changed the timing belt on my 92 honda accord, put all timing marks where they belong. But the car won't start. It sounds like it wants to start but it does not.

92 Civic timing marks [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all. First time here. Looks like a great place. Here's my problem, I got this Honda given to me. First time for a Honda. Engine does run but has a loud knocking at idle that sounds like a rod knocking. I pulled the plug wires off one at a time and all but one made a big difference. I want to...

View more questions Search