Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    printer 1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 22, 2017, 12:19 PM
    Harley 883 backfires no start
    Got a 1998 Harley Sportster, when trying to start it just backfires and no start.
    Any Ideas. Got new battery 1 1/2 years ago and haven't road it much.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 23, 2017, 12:31 PM
    I would Start with Fuel. Smell/Look in Tank. May need Carbs Cleaned. If it has Points, check the surface of the contacts. Betting on Fuel/Carb Problem.
    Some have float bowl Drain plugs. Remove to drain any water, contaminates and look for clean fuel running through. May have to apply vacuum to fuel Petcock

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

20 hp briggs and stratton engine won't start backfires [ 2 Answers ]

Have a 10 year old 20 hp I c twin started last year but doesn't start this year. Cranks over but sputters to get gas, check fuel line to carb, getiing gas to intake, tries to start blows blue smokes out exaust and backfires and stops trying to start. Replaced spark plugs still not starting,cloged...

John Deere LX 255 backfires when trying to start. [ 0 Answers ]

My John Deere LX 255 lawn tractor has started "spuddering and coughing" after about 30 minutes mowing. When the engine finally dies and one tries to start it again, it backfires and will not run properly for a while. Could this be that the ignition module needs replacing?

2001 4.3 backfires and will not start?has code p1345 [ 0 Answers ]

Was running fine started losing power on my way home.stalled out,tries to run but doesn't.sounds like timing problem.I read codes and got p1345.

1982 ford bronco backfires and will not start [ 2 Answers ]

My 1982 ford bronco died one day while I was driving when I tried to start the engine again it Started backfiring and spitting through the carburetor and caught fire it acts like the engine Is out of time I replaced the timing chain every thing linesup on TDC with the firing order. Plug...

Riding mower backfires when I try to start it [ 1 Answers ]

My 17.5 Briggs and stratton riding-mower motor backfires when I try to start it. It sounds about like a 20 gauge shotgun every few seconds. Why do I feel there's something wrong? And what can I do about it? Asks Zheem... :confused:

View more questions Search