Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    TinyGeo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 18, 2017, 08:27 AM
    How To Remove Tailpiece

In the first picture you can see its missing a piece that broke which in the second picture is of that piece on my other sink. I went out to buy a replacement for it already but this is where the problem is and that is the tailpiece on the first picture where the arrow is pointing to is stuck in that P-trap. Ive looked online for replacing those parts and it only mentions to unscrew that white piece that secures the tailpiece. Even after I unscrew it the tailpiece is still stuck hard in there no matter what I try to pull it out.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 18, 2017, 11:32 AM
    Use your pliers and grab the tailpiece and spin it around a few times... should loosen it. If that fails to fix the issue, remove the strainer and pull up on the tailpiece while spinning the tailpiece... that should get it out. If you damage the tailpiece pick up a plastic one and reuse the strainer washer. Sometimes, these can be a little tough to get started, but the tailpiece should eventually loosen pretty easily.

Mark
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 21, 2017, 04:07 PM
    Aside from Mark's excellent advice: that 1 1/2" ABS black drain pipe should flexible and move left and right a bit. Push it one way to by-pass the strainer - and pull out the tail piece

If the ABS pipe doesn't move, than you can also cut it in the horizontal section, remove tail-piece, insert new one ( don't forget to insert the white nut onto the tail piece first ) - and glue the same pipe back together using ABS coupling and ABS glue.

If you don't want to mess with glue, than you can use Fernco Flex / rubber coupling. This coupling comes with two s.s. bands that you tighten up with screwdriver. This coupling is removable and reusable. You can purchase one in Home Depot for about $4.00

Hope that helps

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I remove an old tailpiece without damaging the sink. [ 7 Answers ]

I have removed the pop-up drain stopper and now have an unobstructed view down into the tailpiece assembly. There are no protrusions or holes in the screw-on chrome top piece by which I could use to prevent it turning when I try to turn the tailpiece from below in order to remove it to install a...

Tailpiece of new drain too long [ 2 Answers ]

Should I cut the tailpiece of my new drain? It too long to fit the p-trap and waste line I have in place. Do I have to uninstall the drain to cut it or can I do it in place?

Installing tailpiece into threaded tee. [ 4 Answers ]

Hello everyone... I am winding down on my complete bathroom renovation and am stumbling over something that I thought would be the easiest to deal with... I have a 1950's house and an old cast iron wall-hung sink that I decided to keep. The drain pipes, however, needed to be updated. I...

How to get the nut over the tailpiece on the sink [ 1 Answers ]

I have been replacing the "basket" on my kitchen sink and all was fine until I got to the "replace the nut over the tailpiece on the sink" the old on came off and the new on that came with the new basket does not want to slip over the lip on the tailpiece, the instructions in the package do not say...

Leak in Shower Tailpiece [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Speedball, I registered with Ask Me, just to ask you. My shower drain has been leaking Down into my crawlspace below my house, possibly for years. I crawled in the Mud down there to see if the nut needed tightening (nope), and it seems that the Water comes out of one side only of the...

View more questions Search