Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2017, 06:47 PM
    Venting a gas furnace
    My son's house has the gas furnace for the central heat in a 100 square foot or so room adjacent to the basement carport. At some point in the past, someone just knocked some holes in the wall and put some vents in to, we suppose, admit air for the furnace. He wants to simply put a vent in the entry door to the small room and let the furnace draw air through that. He would then repair the holes in the wall.

Does that seem like a workable idea?

Name:  IMG_0828.jpg
Views: 1079
Size:  1.16 MBName:  IMG_0827.jpg
Views: 356
Size:  989.8 KBName:  IMG_0826.jpg
Views: 502
Size:  1.17 MB
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 18, 2017, 02:07 PM
    I am no heating expert but I would say a big flat NO!
    There are various features of a furnace that determine how it is to be vented, intake and exhaust.
    First find the manual online, if you don't have it.

Personally I would ask for estimates from 2 licensed contractors. This is not stuff you mess around with. At the very least, you can be dealing with inefficiency and dirt getting into everything.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2017, 06:35 PM
    Looks like a poorly sealed Cold Air return. Are you talking about venting for combustion air? Louvered doors are good. A duct bringing air into the room from the outside would work. I believe the current code for solid doors requires 2 vents, one 12" from the floor level and a second one 12" from the ceiling of the room where the furnace is located. You could have 1 in the door and another above the door. If you have a 90%+ condensing furnace, no venting is needed as all combustion air comes from the outside of the house.
    jlisenbe Posts: 5,020, Reputation: 157
    Uber Member

Jul 18, 2017, 07:30 PM
    Yes, we are talking about air for combustion. That's the only reason I can think of for the placement of those vents. It sure looks like the work of amateurs. I'll mention the two vents you referenced to him. I'll also see if he has a manual for the furnace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garage furnace venting clearance [ 8 Answers ]

I am installing my first 'Reznor' garage furnace for a customer. It is gas fired, 45000 BTU's and it will hang from the ceiling. I know that when it comes to venting, the vent should be at least two feet above the highest peak of the roof. Because of where the furnace will hang, making the vent...

Furnace room venting with screens? [ 7 Answers ]

Again, sorry about all the posts. I have a partitioned furnace room (gas furnace and water heater) with 2 high vents and 2 low vents built into the walls. The door to the room is louvered. Can I use a screen door instead of the louvered door? Reason is that the furnace room can be buggy,...

Can this Carrier Furnace be used for upflow venting? [ 2 Answers ]

We got new CARRIER Furnace 70,000.BTU, Model.# 58STX070E last year. Now we are remodeling our house and looking to move the ducts in the ceiling. Our contractor is saying that this furnace is not going to work as this is downflow venting and putting the ducts in the attic will require...

Venting fuel oil furnace [ 1 Answers ]

I have a high efficiency fuel oil furnace. I have been having problems with condensation in the chimney which is causing water to leak through my ceiling around the chimney. I tried pitting a metal flue liner in but it would not fit because the chimney narrows at one point to the size of a...

View more questions Search