Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2017, 06:41 PM
    Getting hydrangea to bloom at top
    My hydrangea will only bloom at the bottom of the plant. The plant looks full and healthy otherwise.

How can I get the hydrangea to bloom not just at the bottom but also in the middle and top of the plant?

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2017, 08:33 PM
    Most Hydrangeas bloom on old growth. If you prune them early in the year , before growth, they will not bloom on the new growth. Could be your issue.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 18, 2017, 02:52 AM
    My hydrangeas start anew each year, not on old growth, and need to be pruned back in the fall.
    Find out which kind you have.
    Also you may have soil rich in nitrogen for lots of leaves, but not blooms.
    Get fertilizer for hydrangeas.
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Jul 24, 2017, 09:29 AM
    I believe the instructions I received with my hydrangea was to prune in the spring. The blooms are pink. Does that Help you know more about my hydrangeas.

Any more tips after this info was given would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
    current pert

Jul 24, 2017, 10:09 AM
    No. Color of blooms doesn't matter. You can prune in the fall or spring. But some grow on old growth and some don't. On old growth, you will see little green sprouts spaced every 5" or so along the old canes. If not, you have the kind that starts anew from the roots.
    current pert

Sep 2, 2017, 01:48 AM
    https://www.gardeningknowhow.com/gar...hydrangeas.htm

The articles I find are so, so confusing if you don't know what you have. I still don't know what I have, and it's been 4 years!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bloom Syndrome [ 1 Answers ]

I have searched all around Google but I cannot find preventions to Bloom Syndrome. If there even are, could anyone please tell me what they are? Thanks :)

Lantana, getting them to bloom [ 1 Answers ]

I planted several lantana plants, some of them are blooming nicely, but a couple have a large number of buds on them but will not bloom. What do I need to do to get them to bloom?

Hydrangea won't bloom [ 1 Answers ]

We've lived in this house for four years. I have four hydrangeas, I believe they are annabelle. The first couple of years they received NO sunlight at all. The garden was total shade. Then, we had trees pruned and removed. Now the garden is partial shade, dappled sunlight. Still no blooms for two...

Hydrangea bush [ 2 Answers ]

I want to plant a couple hydrangea bushes in my yard at my new home but I don't know what kind of care they take: do they need sun or no sun, shade or no shade, etc?

View more questions Search