Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foreverromantic Posts: 177, Reputation: 1

Jul 17, 2017, 12:26 PM
    Corroded pipes
    Under my kitchen sink the pipe that is CURVED has white spots all over it and white substance attached to it. It is not leaking or anything. Should this pipe be replaced and what is that exactly. thanks. It is not a PVC Pipe. It's stainless steel.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 17, 2017, 01:53 PM
    I doubt stainless steel. If so, it most likely wouldn't corrode. Probably chromed brass. Yes, just get a PVC trap.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 17, 2017, 02:15 PM
    If you dampen your finger and rub the spots do they totally disappear? If so, not need to replace but tighten the nuts a bit, you have been dripping.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Jul 18, 2017, 11:43 AM
    Hi Forever

The pipe sounds like it may be an old galvanized PTRAP (water is always present in the PTRAP to keep sewer gasses from coming into the home). If it isn't galvanized then it is an older style brass PTRAP. Either way, I would NOT advise you to touch this old pipe or tighten any nuts (sorry Bob) as you could tighten something and start a major leak that could require replacement of the PTRAP and more piping. Basically, as is the case with most old plumbing, if it ain't leaking, don't touch it!!

Good day!

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jul 18, 2017, 02:08 PM
    No problems Mass. My question is yet unanswered by the poster but if those spots wipe off clean it's likely Lime from a slow drip.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Corroded gas line [ 20 Answers ]

Check out these pictures -- any idea what could cause this type of corrosion? The pipe looks like it has 'craters' in it -- I tried to get an up-close picture. These gas pipes are in a basement ceiling. I know some surface rust on black iron pipe is to be expected -- but this one seems to be a...

Repairing corroded galvanized pipes with cura flow procedures [ 1 Answers ]

I have a home built in 1939 and it has come time to address the corroded galvanized pipes. It has been suggested I look into the new techniques for coating the pipes. or using an electric current to de-corrode the pipes. My question is what is the downside to this type of repair.

Getting corroded pipes loose [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are putting in a new fixture in our shower/bath combo, got everything in order now, but one pipe that we cannot get loose. My husband is a big guy that has the man power, but I think that it might have something to do with the pipes being corroded. Does anyone know of any tricks...

Do I have corroded pipes below below my tub? [ 5 Answers ]

Hi - I am REALLY hoping someone out there can help! We live in an old house (built 1888). The plumbing is not that old, since the house didn't have indoor plumbing when it was built. We believe the plumbing was put in around 1934. Our upstairs tub/shower won't drain. We have had it...

Nut on wall pipe is too corroded and won't come off [ 1 Answers ]

The wall pipe under the kitchen sink has a hole. I already disconnected the end that attaches to the trap, but the side that connects to pipe in the wall is badly corroded and the nut won't come loose. I already tried banging the pliers with a hammer and WD40. I can't get it to budge at all. ...

View more questions Search