Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    byob Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 04:54 PM
    Kansas state law about debt?
    Federal Law states they have 4 years to collect an outstanding debt.
    What about the Kansas state law? How long do the collector have for collecting an outstanding debt.

I can't recollect all my old debt some debts are like from 1995, 1996.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 10:05 AM
    Hello b:

There is no federal statute of limitations on debt. There are state laws that restrict the time a party has to file a lawsuit. But, there are no laws that limit the time a collector can make attempts to collect, even though he might be barred from suing.

excon

Apr 17, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello b:

There is no federal statute of limitations on debt. There are state laws that restrict the time a party has to file a lawsuit. But, there are no laws that limit the time a collector can make attempts to collect, even though he might be barred from suing.

excon

So, this means that if a third party agency is trying to collect the debt from the year 1995 or 1996, I still need to pay them. Or, I should get the document about the old debt first.

What should I do?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 17, 2007, 11:25 AM
    Hello again, b:

Whether you NEED to pay them, is a matter between you and your conscience. All I'm saying is that if you owe it, you owe it forever. WHAT they can do to you is altogether another matter too.

Given what you've said, and from my personal knowledge of these scumbags, it's my belief that they CAN'T sue you because the statute has passed. That may or may not be so based upon myriad occurrences. Nonetheless, I suggest that you operate from the position that the SOL has passed.

That means you can tell them to go jump in a lake, and by the way, they better not damage your credit or you'll sue them.

That doesn't mean these people won't file a lawsuit, and if you're not there to tell the judge that SOL has passed, they'll get a default judgment, and then they'll raise all sorts of hell with your life.

Get a copy of your credit report. See if there's any mention of this debt. IF you've gotten some communication from some collector a$$hole, respond IN WRITING, sent certified, to demand verification. Do that within 30 days of the first time they contacted you.

IF the SOL has not passed (for whatever reason), and IF they 're going to sue you, and/or IF you want to pay them, be SURE to negotiate the payment down to $.25 on the dollar, and make sure they REMOVE any negative item on your credit report.

excon

Apr 23, 2007, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello again, b:

Whether you NEED to pay them, is a matter between you and your conscience. All I'm saying is that if you owe it, you owe it forever. WHAT they can do to you is altogether another matter too.

Given what you’ve said, and from my personal knowledge of these scumbags, it’s my belief that they CAN'T sue you because the statute has passed. That may or may not be so based upon myriad occurrences. Nonetheless, I suggest that you operate from the position that the SOL has passed.

That means you can tell them to go jump in a lake, and by the way, they better not damage your credit or you'll sue them.

That doesn't mean these people won't file a lawsuit, and if you're not there to tell the judge that SOL has passed, they'll get a default judgment, and then they'll raise all sorts of hell with your life.

Get a copy of your credit report. See if there's any mention of this debt. IF you've gotten some communication from some collector a$$hole, respond IN WRITING, sent certified, to demand verification. Do that within 30 days of the first time they contacted you.

IF the SOL has not passed (for whatever reason), and IF they 're going to sue you, and/or IF you want to pay them, be SURE to negotiate the payment down to $.25 on the dollar, and make sure they REMOVE any negative item on your credit report.

excon

What do you mean by sent certified?

Apr 23, 2007, 03:51 PM
    I got a letter from this company "NCO". The debt was from 1995 and last payment was made 1996. I did metion about the statue of liabilites. This company knows that they can not sue me. I told them that I will not pay them. Then, they said some one is going to contact me.

What should I do next?
    Should I respond back in a letter saying that I am not going to pay for this old debt as it is not showing in my credit report at all.

Should I hire a lawyer for this case?

Do you have an example of a letter to respond back to this company.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Credit card debt law suites [ 2 Answers ]

A credit card company is about to sue me for not fulfilling my obligations to them. I want to know what cane I do to avod this. Plus I want to pay them but I can pay them something but to company that purchased the debt said that it is too late to make payment arrangements

Tax Law, reducing taxpayers IRS debt [ 3 Answers ]

How does it work a company says they can reduce your IRS debt to pennies on the dollar. What connection do they have with the IRS that they can cut a deal when they won't even give the average taxpayer the time of day. What % does the law firm keep for their fee?

Michigan law- minitort on a state owned vehicle [ 3 Answers ]

I got hit the other day, she was at fault, but she was driving a minivan with a state owned vehicle license plate... now they're saying that even though she was at fault, I have to pay for my deductable and her insurance company doesn't have to.. kind of weird.. any ideas?

Kansas State Renters Law for Renters [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Lenexa, Kansas a part of Johnson County Kansas. I need to know What the law is governing renters rights when it comes to repair of things Like garbage disposals etc. I also need to know if it is a requirement of the Law to have shades or blinds furnished by landlord or if this is the...

Kansas Rental Law [ 3 Answers ]

I rent a house from a private landlord and just recently found out that the roof in one of the rooms leaks. Unfortunately, I found out by discovering my $2000 keyboard soaked and destroyed after a rainstorm. I'm curious if there is a liability law stating that my landlord will have to cover the...

View more questions Search