Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nez Posts: 557, Reputation: 51

Apr 16, 2007, 04:50 PM
    Realtek 97 audio codec for Vista Business Edition
    I know I should not really post this here,but here goes.Recently I upgraded to Windows Vista,Business Edition.All went well,until after install,I had no sound out of my Soundmax Drivers.After many attempts at tracking down a driver that worked,I finally downloaded one from the main Realtek site.It is the Realtek 6231_Visto_APO audio driver,which I installed to my desktop.
    Here are the install instructions,if anyone else ends up as I did.The audio driver should
    Work in all versions of Vista.
    Extract the audio-file to an empty folder in your Downloads folder,and name it new audio driver.Do not let Vista update your original sound driver,to your new downloded one.
    Open new driver folder,and look down for set-up.Click-it,and let it do it's thing.When it's finished,you will have to re boot your PC.
    When your back on your desktop,look for your sound icon,in the task bar.Right-click,and go to Playback Devices.Ignore your speaker settings,and icon.Click-on Realtek Digital Output.Then click-on Properties.
    Place a tick on DTS Audio,Dolby Digital,and Microsoft VMA Audio.
    Next,go to Enhancements.Click-on Environment.Look at Settings near the bottom of the pop-up screen.I've used the Living Room setting,but it's up to you.
    Then tick the Equalizer setting.I have mine on Rock.When finished,click ok.
    Turn-on your speakers.
    Note:Don't forget to set Realtek Digital Output to set default,to maintain your sound settings.
    I hope this might help "early Vista adapters.

Check out some similar questions!

To Vista or not to Vista that is a question... [ 9 Answers ]

Does your machine have what it takes to run Windows Vista. Find out HERE with this excellent online tool. (ActiveX is needed for this test) Now personally I will be running Vista on a test box. Hey I've got to at least try and break it, but there is no way it will be on any of my live machines...

Audio Codec [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am having some problem with a video file which I have downloaded. When I played the file, the sound kept going off few times. It's a problem with that particular video file. Is there any way that I can fix the video file? Thanks a lot in appreciation...

Codec problem - urgent [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I was just watching a movie which is already in my PC. But after a while, when I tried to play few movies using Windows media player, PowerDVD and Winamp, I couldn't. When I was playing windows media player, it was trying to request the network for codec and failed. What should I do now?...

I don't know how to use codec... Hu hu hu! [ 12 Answers ]

First the only idea I know about codec is, codec use to be able to play audio and video file to other player... that's all know... Anyone would tell me what codec really is and how to use it... For example I have a avi movie I want to cut it into two so that I can burn it to cd... I have...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.