Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    catherinem Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 16, 2017, 09:36 PM
    Optimum radius and height of frustum of right circular cone with set volume?
    I have worked out how to find the optimum surface area dimensions for a full cone with a set volume, but am unsure how to go about this when the cone is truncated (bottom pointed end cut off).

I've derived the below volume and surface area formulas for a frustum cone.

V = ⅓.Pi.h(R^2 + Rr + r^2)

SA = Pi(R + r)[(R-r)^2 + h^2]^½

I then found what h = using the first volume formula:

h = (3V)/Pi(R^2 + Rr + r^2)

Then I subbed h into the SA formula such that:

SA = Pi(R + r)[(R-r)^2 + (3V/Pi(R^2 + Rr + r^2))]^½

I think that I am supposed to use differential calculus now to find the critical values/local minimum but am not sure how to do this because there are two different radii values?
    magprob Posts: 1,877, Reputation: 300
    Ultra Member

Jul 25, 2017, 03:09 PM
    Johnny is left with 6 apples.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jul 27, 2017, 08:46 AM
    I assume y are trying to minimize surface area for a given volume, correct? I think it would help if you wrote the problem out exactly as it was given to you. It seems to me that either r or R must be given. Or else perhaps they are looking for a ratio of r/R?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

The radius of the cone is then tripled, and the height of the cone is cut in half. Th [ 0 Answers ]

The radius of the cone is then tripled, and the height of the cone is cut in half. The radius of the cylinder stays the same, but the height of the cylinder is doubled. Which change produces a greater increase in volume. Which figures' volume increases by a larger factor?

Find the lateral are and surface area of a right cone with radius of 9 in. and a heig [ 4 Answers ]

Find the lateral area and surface area of a right cone with radius of 9 in. and height of 12 in. give the answer in terms of pi

Water is flowing into a frustum of a cone? [ 0 Answers ]

A swimming pool is 9 m wide, 15 m long, 1 m deep at the shadow end, and 3 m deep at the deep, the bootom being an inclined plane. If water is pumped into the pool at the rate of 3 cubic meter per minute, how fast is the water level rising when it is 2 m deep at the deep end?

Differential calc when the volume radius and height is changing [ 4 Answers ]

If water was leaking from an inverted conical tank at a rate of 10 000 cm³/min and at the same time water form another source is entering the tank at a constant rate Q. The tank is 6m high and the diameter at the top is 4m (r=2m=200cm). If the water level is rising at a rate of 20cm/min when the...

Related rates frustum of cone [ 1 Answers ]

Here is a related rates y'all may like to tackle. "a circular tank with height 2 feet, radius on the top of R and radius on the bottom of r where R>r. If R=6 ft and r=4.5ft, and it's filling at a rate of 15 ft^3/min, how fast is the height of the water changing when the water's radius is 5? ...

View more questions Search