Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Jul 13, 2017, 12:00 AM
    Cannot read SSD
    Good morning OK an actual question this time from me.

My alienware laptop recently stopped working due to a graphics card error so I have pulled the M.2 SSD out and put it in a StarTech M.2 to SATA converter and then used it in my main PC via USB but when I plug it in it appears in disk management as a drive but not in my computer and in disk management it needs initialised but the options do not work to read the disk.

Now this drive has a lot of information on that I want to keep so formatting is not an option has anyone els had this problem or has any idea how to read the drive in another machine?

Any help would be amazing.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 18, 2017, 03:52 PM
    What size is the drive ? You might be better off getting another drive and then clone it to keep from losing information and to see what will work best in your situation. Also did you change OS's when you did the drive swap? Are / were both OS's 64bit / 32 bit ?
    phoenix1664 Posts: 226, Reputation: 19

Jul 19, 2017, 05:02 AM
    My drive was 250Gb I have tried to clone it but it states there is only 1 drive so won't let you do it. And yes both the machine that it is from and the one I am trying to read it are the same OS.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hello Im new to site.. but have read it forever. This is an ETG question read below [ 22 Answers ]

I am 43 years old, 5 ft tall, 160 ibs. Plump but not huge.. lol. My job pretty much keeps me stationary at desk at all times... but I am in pretty good health no health issues, no meds etc. I am on probation not felony for a charge that had NOTHING NOTHING to do with alcohol or drugs yet they...

Do you read nutrition labels? Would you read them if they were 1-5 stars? [ 6 Answers ]

A study released today proved what most of us probably already know - a lot of us don't look at the nutrition labels on the food we buy very closely. Do you? http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/1/1e/Nutrition_label.gif/300px-Nutrition_label.gif What do you look for? Would you be...

View more questions Search