Ask
    Mub12 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2017, 06:15 PM
    Religious based
    Hiw can we believe in the truth of histories
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 12, 2017, 06:26 PM
    History of countries or history of religions?
    Brother Rando Posts: 9, Reputation: 2
    -

Jul 12, 2017, 10:58 PM
    The Bible provides an accurate history. What evidence is there that the ancient city of Jericho was conquered without a long siege?

According to the Scriptural account, the Israelites had good reason not to plunder Jericho’s grain. Jehovah had commanded them not to do so. (Josh. 6:17, 18) The Israelites attacked in the spring of the year, just after harvesttime when grain supplies were abundant. (Josh. 3:15-17; 5:10) The fact that much grain remained in Jericho indicates that the Israelite siege was of short duration, just as the Bible describes it.

Hoarded Coins Discovered

More than 100 bronze coins with the inscription “Year Four” were discovered near a highway in Israel. The date points to the fourth year of the Jewish revolt against the Romans (69-70 C.E.)—the revolt that led to Jerusalem’s destruction. “Evidently someone here feared the end was approaching—perhaps he could see the advancing Roman army,” says Pablo Betzer, an excavation director. “He hid his property in the hope of collecting it later.”

DID YOU KNOW? In 33 C.E. Jesus foretold the Roman siege of Jerusalem. He urged Christians to flee to the mountains for safety.—Luke 21:20-24.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2017, 08:08 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Brother Rando View Post
    The Bible provides an accurate history.
    The Bible is NOT a history book.
    -

Jul 13, 2017, 10:59 AM
    Then why do we keep count of time according to the birth of Jesus Christ? 2017 in the year of our Lord. It's a History Book and an accurate and Inspired One at that.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2017, 11:06 AM
    Then why do we keep count of time according to the birth of Jesus Christ? 2017 in the year of our Lord. It's a History Book and an accurate and Inspired One at that.
    From Quora:

Jesus was born in what was at the time a province of secondary (or even tertiary) importance in the Roman Empire. Our records from that time are not complete. What the Bible indicates is that Jesus was born during the reign of Herod (called "the Great" because of his building program, even though he was a terrible person). Some three hundred years after Jesus died, Christians in the Roman Empire decided to create a calendar based on his birth. But they weren't really sure when that happened. Modern evidence indicates they got it wrong, because we've been able to calculate the year of Herod's death and it was 4 BC. That's a pretty fixed date.
    Jesus' birth had to come BEFORE that, but could have been in the same year. Estimates of the birth year of Jesus vary between 7 BC and 4 BC for a variety of reasons I'm not going to detail here. OK, that's a start though.
    In addition, the Bible says Jesus was "about thirty years old" when he began his public ministry (Luke 3:23). Which the Gospel of John gives enough information about to show lasted three years.
    But the "about" that's before the "thirty years old" indicates correctly that Jesus exact age at that time was not important to either Jesus or the disciples, so they in fact did not know exactly and didn't say exactly how old Jesus was prior to his public ministry.
    Because of uncertainty in the dating of Jesus birth + "about 30 years" prior to his ministry + 3 years of public ministry prior to his death = estimates of the year of the crucifixion have varied between AD 26 to 33.

https://www.quora.com/How-many-years...d-on-the-cross
    -

Jul 13, 2017, 11:34 AM
    Even the Jews calendar was secular Tammuz was one of the month's name. BC and AD are inaccurate. It's actually BCE and CE. BCE stands for Before Common Era and CE is Common Era. The Jew months were all 30 days 360 days in a year, but the day is not exactly 24 hours in length. Therefore, we went to a mor accurent calendar to keep a more accurate count of time. Jesus was baptized in 29 CE which means he was about 30. The Bible is very accurate. The Prophecy in Daniel points to the time when the Messiah would suddenly appear and marks the time when he would be put to the death. He was being put to death at noon on Nisan 14th, 33 CE and died around 3:00 pm that afternoon.

As he was dying "About three in the afternoon Jesus cried out in a loud voice, "Eli, Eli, lema sabachthani?" (which means "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"). Matthew 27:46 Another Prophecy fulfilled by the Messiah (Psalm 22:1) Trinitarians and that is what the Roman Religion is, wants you to believe that Jesus is God. If so then, can we conclude that God cried out, "My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?"

I think not..... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYV5...06D29&index=10
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2017, 11:41 AM
    You use a lot of "about"s. What's Jesus' birthdate? On what date did it start raining to produce the Great Flood? On what date did Jesus raise Lazarus from the dead?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2017, 11:43 AM
    B.C. does stand for “before Christ.” A.D. actually stands for the Latin phrase anno domini, which means “in the year of our Lord.”
    -

Jul 13, 2017, 11:49 AM
    Jesus was born on 2 BCE in the fall of our calendar in the first week of October. Not what religions tell you. https://www.jw.org/en/jehovahs-witne...ate-christmas/
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2017, 11:53 AM
    Oh Boy, here we go again----I'm right and you're not Na-Na!!
    -

Jul 13, 2017, 12:00 PM
    The Jewish Calendar was 360 days and the Gregorian Calendar became mostly used due to it's accuracy. It became more and more common around the 16 century. 365 days every four years with one at 366 days called leap year to make the adjustment.

One day is actually 23 hours, 56 minutes, 4 seconds but it took science thousands of years to catch up and actually measure the time frame.

Even though some still use BC and AD. The BCE and CE about the common era is now gaining momentum from the science and historians.

What is the Difference Between BCE/CE and BC/AD, and Who Came Up with These Systems?
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2017, 12:03 PM
    Jesus was born on 2 BCE in the fall of our calendar in the first week of October.
    It was in the spring, when "shepherds were out in their fields, keeping watch over their flocks by night" (lambs were being born)....

Two approaches have been used to estimate the year of the birth of Jesus: one based on the accounts of his birth in the Gospels with reference to King Herod's reign, and the other by working backwards from his stated age of "about 30 years" when he began preaching. Most scholars, on this basis, assume a date of birth between 6 and 4 BC with Saturday 17 April 6 BC / 17.4.748 AUC / 29 Nisan 3755 HC being the most likely candidate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronology_of_Jesus
    -

Jul 13, 2017, 12:07 PM
    The Flood

The catastrophic destruction of men and animals by an overwhelming flood in the days of Noah, 2370 B.C.E. This greatest cataclysm in all human history was sent by Jehovah because wicked men had filled the earth with violence. The survival of righteous Noah and his family, eight souls in all, together with selected animals, was by means of a huge ark, or chest.—Ge 6:9–9:19; 1Pe 3:20; see ARK

The Deluge did not come suddenly without warning. Years of time were spent building the ark, time that Noah the “preacher of righteousness” also used in warning that wicked generation. (2Pe 2:5) Finally the time limit was up “in the six hundredth year of Noah’s life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month.” The “male and female of every sort of flesh” had been brought into the ark with Noah’s family, as well as a sufficient food supply for all, and “after that Jehovah shut the door.” Then “the floodgates of the heavens were opened.” (Ge 7:11, 16) There was an incessant torrential downpour for “forty days and forty nights”; “the waters continued overwhelming the earth” a hundred and fifty days. (Ge 7:4, 12, 24) Five months after the downpour began, the ark “came to rest on the mountains of Ararat.” (Ge 8:4) It was nearly two and a half months later before “the tops of the mountains appeared” (Ge 8:5), another three months before Noah removed the ark’s covering to see that the earth had practically drained (Ge 8:13), and nearly two months later when the door was opened and the survivors set foot on dry ground once again.—Ge 8:14-18.

Noah and his family entered the ark in the 600th year of Noah’s life, the 2nd month (October-November), the 17th day. (Ge 7:11) One year later (a year consisting of 360 days) was the 17th day, 2nd month, 601st year. Ten days after that would be the 27th day of the 2nd month, when they came out; a total of 370 days, or parts of 371 separate days, spent in the ark. (Ge 8:13, 14) In the log that Noah kept, it appears he used months of 30 days each, 12 of them equaling 360 days. In this way he avoided all the complicated fractions involved had he used strictly lunar months consisting of slightly more than 29 1⁄2 days.

Where did this “heavenly ocean” come from? The Genesis account of creation tells how on the second “day” Jehovah made an expanse about the earth, and this expanse (called “Heaven”) formed a division between the waters below it, that is, the oceans, and the waters above it. (Ge 1:6-8) The waters suspended above the expanse evidently remained there from the second “day” of creation until the Flood. This is what the apostle Peter was talking about when he recounted that there “were heavens from of old and an earth standing compactly out of water and in the midst of water by the word of God.” Those “heavens” and the waters above and beneath them were the means that God’s word called into operation, and “by those means the world of that time suffered destruction when it was deluged with water.” (2Pe 3:5, 6) Various explanations have been offered as to how the water was held aloft until the Flood and as to the processes that resulted in its falling. But these are only speculative. The Bible says simply that God made the expanse with waters above it and that he brought the Deluge. His almighty power could easily accomplish it.

IF you need more info be sure to let me know...
    -

Jul 13, 2017, 12:26 PM
    Think about about it. Jesus was put to death at the age of 33 1/2. In the year 33 that coordinate in April of our calendar. 1/2 year is 6 months is it not? Then 6 months forward or 6 months backward is what month?

OCTOBER of 2 BCE when the adjustment of time was made it went like this...

3 BCE 2 BCE 1 BCE 2 CE 3 CE get it? There was no zero and the 1 was not counted twice... but you were right there was 4 years missing with the Jewish Calendar. However, the CE were 365 days then a leap year was added later on to be more accurate. Jesus got baptized in the fall of 29 CE which makes him about thirty. His ministry was 3 1/2 years as he was cut off with nothing for himself.

Therefore seculares claim Jesus died at 30 AD but that is a little off, it's 33 CE. God's time table is more accurate than man's time table. We are in the year 6042 since Adam and Eve were ousted from the Garden of Eden. Another 38 years brings us to 6080 that all mankind will have to endure. If you want an explanation, just ask for my website....
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2017, 12:54 PM
    IF you need more info be sure to let me know...
    There was no worldwide flood; it was a local event. Please read something other than JW material.

Remember, it's = it is. You continue to use "it's" when it should be "its," the possessive form.
    -

Jul 13, 2017, 01:02 PM
    Remnants of marine life like shells are found on mountain tops. Science and History back up the Biblical Account of the Flood.

https://answersingenesis.org/fossils...sea-creatures/
    https://phys.org/news/2016-09-scient...ns-future.html
    https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...rnia-mountains
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 13, 2017, 01:29 PM
    Remnants of marine life like shells are found on mountain tops. Science and History back up the Biblical Account of the Flood.

https://answersingenesis.org/fossils...sea-creatures/
    https://phys.org/news/2016-09-scient...ns-future.html
    https://www.csmonitor.com/Science/20...rnia-mountains
    C'mon, BR. Do some honest research and interpretation of information.

Did you actually read the phys.org link? (nothing about the Flood):

"One group of scientists argued that the diatoms accumulated in a marine basin after ice sheet retreat and later, after it got much colder, were moved by the growing glaciers to the mountains. This interpretation suggested a dramatic retreat of the ice sheet between 3 million and 4.5 million years ago, during warm periods of the Pliocene Epoch. But other scientists contended the ice sheet remained stable for at least the past 5 million years, arguing that the diatoms were carried by the wind and deposited atop older sediments."
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2017, 07:07 PM
    You do know people didn't have clocks they got up at daybreak.. worked their butts off and went to sleep when it got dark... most of them were lucky to know what day of the week it was, few knew what DATE it was... even fewer even knew how to read or write, much less had ANY education.

Nearly every Christian on Earth couldn't care less at what EXACT day and Time he was born.. because nobody can ever prove it. It is what it is... the calendar is what it is.. and its not changing. That's good enough for essentially every Christian except for maybe a handful. Also due to the fact anything that was written down or handed down verbally before it was written down.. has gone through a number of translations.. and anyone fluent in more than one language will tell you... Even a single paragraph isn't possible to translate literally so you have approximations and when its through 2 or three minimum before it makes it to a modern language you get deviations, even if so much of it wasn't written in parables to start with.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2017, 07:28 AM
    Ever hear of "plate tectonics"? Mountain building! Or does that not factor into JW beliefs?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

From Religious Affiliation to No Religious Association [ 17 Answers ]

I just wanted to know if there are people here who have chosen to leave a certain religious community and did not replace it with another...like going from Christianity to atheism for example... If so, what was it like to tell your family? Did they push you away, try to change you, or accept...

Functional-based and activity based costing [ 3 Answers ]

Criado, My assignment for this week is way above my head, the textbook is not of much help and I need some guidance as I go along. Below is the assignment. I hope you can help me. pmonica Trinity Clinic has identified three activities for daily maternity care: occupancy and feeding, nursing...

Painting Cabinets - Oil based or Water based? [ 1 Answers ]

Going to be painting my oak kitchen cabinets white. I heard that oil based paint would be best, but don't want to deal with the extra mess. Is there anything wrong with using a good acrylic enamel?

Religious Education [ 35 Answers ]

Just a thought... What do members think of Religious Education in their respective countries. My apologies for any offence this may create. I am a total atheist, I cannot bring myself to believe in an omnipotent being, but that's who I am. I am all for religious tolerance and feel that if...

View more questions Search