Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    djenka Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 13, 2005, 10:53 PM
    How to make support wall for garden soil using 4x4 posts
    Hi,
    I have really small garden that is on the 45 degree angle. Since I want to level it by putting more soil I would first need to build "support" wall from 4x4 (I think it's 4x4) posts.
    Does anybody have an idea how to make the wall (4x4) solid in order not to fall down from soil presuure?
    Maybe there was easier way to ask but I am new at this and I hope you understand what I need ;-)

Thank you!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 14, 2005, 08:23 AM
    The higher you go, the sturdier it need to be. If you are not going too high, you maybe able to use 8' landscaping timbers as posts. They have almost as much wood as a 4x4, but cost about half as much. I would put a post every 4' sunk 3' into the ground. Tie the ends to 3' posts sunk all the way in at the top.

Be sure and make the wall as tight as possible. Otherwise dirt will continually wash out, and you will need to add more. You can pack clay subsoil from the top part against the wood.
    djenka Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Mar 17, 2005, 06:55 PM
    @labman,
    Thank you, you are my big helper but I want to ask you one more thing.
    I've seen that people are making the support walls without any vertical posts, the only stuff what you can see is horizontal posts (wall). How?
    The reason I'm asking this is it's going to look a little bit ugly from the deck.
    I was thinking if I can make it without vertical ones, just "flat" wall, I'd paint it or decorate it somehow.

Thanks!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Mar 17, 2005, 08:56 PM
    How old are the walls you have seen? Dirt keeps pushing outward on a wall. Most eventually fall. I have seen walls made of horizontal timbers nailed to each other. Sloped back a little they may last for a while. My neighbor has a low bed with the popular vertical timbers side by side. It is 5-10 years old. As a nice spring day, I was looking around my back yard. I noticed how badly the timbers were leaning back.

The more support you give your wall, the longer it will last. You could put the supports inside the wall, out of sight. The wood may hold stain better than paint.

The cast cement landscaping walls are popular too. They are expensive, but easy to build. They leak dirt badly too. Have you considered just a dirt bank? They take up a lot of room and are hard to mow. You could plant an aggressive ground cover and shrubs for an attractive look. I am tired fighting my ditch out front and planted a start of English Ivy and willows.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crack in soil stack [ 4 Answers ]

The main soil stack in my 40+ year old two story home has developed small crack. I have seen evidence of a very small amount of leakage in my basement over the past few years, but it was never bad enough to goo cutting into the walls to find the source. Finally it has gotten bad enough that it had...

Loose soil pipe [ 1 Answers ]

Having recently replaced my toilet I have found the pipe leading to the main stack loose. The pipe is pitch fibre and joins onto a plastic elbow wich goes straight into the main stack. What is the best way to fix and seal the pitch fibre pipe to plastic elbow?

Clay Soil Lawn [ 1 Answers ]

Our lawn is 1 year old and has lot of Clay content in it.. I treated this spring with Lime and fertilizer... Attached picture shows the current condition of the lawn.. Please tell me what I should do.. Should I till & put topsoil or just areate and put top soil... There is currently no topsoil...

2 toilets into 1 soil pipe? [ 2 Answers ]

We (my son & I) are remodeling a 50s bathroom, and creating a new half bath in a newer (90s) master bedroom. The old toilet needs to move, about 6 feet from its current location. The new one will be about 12 feet further from the original drain. The existing setup is all 4" cast iron, down into a...

View more questions Search