Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curiosity7 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2017, 03:50 AM
    Electricity providers can track you by your consumption of electricity
    I started to use smart solutions for electricity consumption. And I found out some weaknesses in privacy politics.
    Did you know what kind of information do they take from you and how often?
    - They can track whether you are at home and what are you doing only by your electricity consumption.
    Is there any solution what allows you to protect the data, so electricity provider doesn't know what I'm doing?
    hfcarson Posts: 1,003, Reputation: 49
    Ultra Member

Jul 10, 2017, 04:23 AM
    Who is they and why should we be worried about them?
    If you're attempting to hide illegal activity you're in the wrong place
    because you know this site is being monitored...
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 10, 2017, 05:23 AM
    A lot of electricity has variable rates set by times of peak and off peak consumption, and it's legal to monitor usage.
    They can't tell if I'm at home or not, and what I am doing, at home or away.
    E.g., my garden soaker hoses use a lot of electricity (well water pump) and they are on whether I'm home or not.
    Does your 'smart' device or app REALLY tell WHAT you are DOING? I don't believe it. It would have to be able to detect every place and item in your property, separately.

I can understand a reason to give this matter some attention, but I for one am just not interested.
    People who grow pot with tons of lights worry about it, because authorities have often checked consumption in order to get clues about illegal activities. Maybe meth labs use a lot too? I don't know.
    You can argue it's an invasion of privacy, but you might lose unless you can show that it was done without other good circumstantial evidence first.
    Scanning all consumers would strike me as unconstitutional too.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Jul 10, 2017, 07:50 AM
    Just exactly how do you think the various utility companies get the data they need to bill you for the electricity you use.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 10, 2017, 09:22 AM
    What loopholes in your privacy policy agreement concerns you? Utility companies often sell their customer list to marketing partners (EVERY company does this to some extent or another), but that involves information that you provided to them like name, address, and services you buy to target junk mail and email for you to buy stuff.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2017, 08:43 AM
    If our water usage is high, Water Company notifies us of a Possible Leak.

I have installed an Electricity usage Monitor for a customer. Inductive loops placed around all wires coming off all breakers. You can see Total usage of house as well as each of the circuits. Customer call me from his home up north, and said I may have left the garage light on, When I went to check, I had left the attic light on. And it was an LED bulb.
    I was looking through the APP and checked Pool Pump for last 30 days, It looked like a square wave, 12 hours on, 12 hours off every day, then notice the height of the square wave, and it showed an excessive load, was an obstruction in pump?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Electricity consumption [ 2 Answers ]

I have a separate electric meter for my shop. No outlet, light, or any appliance is being used.The dial on the meter still turns. The only way to stop it is to shut off the electricity at the panel. How can I find out what the problem is?

Track lights: low voltage vs line voltage.comsume the same electricity in the end? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi! I just installed a section of track light in my living room just to see what it would look like and so far I'm not convinced... you see, I had a regular celing lamp with a 75w incandescent bulb and the room was very well lit... now with the track light I find that I need 3 fixtures with halogen...

Measuring the electricity consumption [ 1 Answers ]

How to measure the electricity consumed by every electric appliances in home?

Electricity Consumption [ 8 Answers ]

Hi everybody, I was on holidays and surprised to see our electricity bill. My wife told me that mostly our bills are double to the bills of our neighbours and relatives. We are getting bills of double the amount of many of our neighbours and relatives who are using the same number of lights and...

Electricity consumption by various electronics items [ 1 Answers ]

Dear expert, Please give me electricity consumption rate for various electronics household items per hour? For example , how much electricity a personal computer consumes in one hour? Same for TV,freeze, washing machine etc.

View more questions Search