Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lauriesartwork Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 9, 2017, 11:10 PM
    Painted paneling bulging and separating
    I JUST BOUGHT A FIX IT MOBILE HOME IN FLORIDA they painted over the pneling and it has all wrinkled/bulging/bucking and separated from its backing... what would cause this?

The mobile has been sitting for 3 years at least not occupied... could it be the heat, moisture, paint?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 10, 2017, 04:47 AM
    Combination of those along with improper preparation before painting.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jul 10, 2017, 09:25 AM
    Florida gives new meaning to the word damp. The paneling would buckle even if unpainted, especially if unoccupied for 3 years.
    The entire structure could easily be rotten. Call 3 contractors for estimates and they can tell you what's what. Floors go even faster than walls.

Jul 11, 2017, 06:43 AM
    Thank you very much... I will take your suggestion and call contractors to get an iea of what caused it, hope it is nothing to be too alarmed about?

What would you suggest doing the walls with I wanted to do knotty pine wall planks tongue and groove. Go over existing wall without stripping. But the wrinkles/bulging is going to be a problem doing anything to them unless I rip it all off.
    Uber Member

Jul 11, 2017, 09:08 AM
    If you plan to live in it.. get what you like. If you plan to flip it or move shortly after.. find something neutral and in vogue currently and not too expensive because its still a trailer and you'd never see much of a return on investment from that work. I'm personally not a fan of layering new stuff on top of old stuff.

Jul 14, 2017, 05:24 AM
    I agree... but I also do not think a 1968 mobile is worth the effort to strip everything and then refinish. Maybe I am looking at it wrongly?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 14, 2017, 08:22 AM
    I think you owe it to yourself, no matter what your plans are for the trailer, to just rip that panelling off and see what is going on behind it. Probably if the panelling is that bad, then you can bet something else is lurking behind it too.
    Uber Member

Jul 14, 2017, 08:40 AM
    I also think you should rip it off and start over. Materials cost is the same... but the extra work to locate the screws/nails and making everything fit in corners, windows and doors on top of the other material offsets the work to remove it. Plus you have the point Tickle raised.. not knowing what was going on behind it.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tenant took deposit from rent, threw out furniture, painted brick and wood paneling [ 8 Answers ]

My brother is an idiot who did not have our tenants sign a lease. Me and him co-own this house and he "managed" everything for the first 4.5 years. I took over the last about 6 months and now the tenants have moved out.First they do fess up to throwing out our wicker 4 PC set. Tenant claims "normal...

Bulging eye [ 1 Answers ]

Already had vet operate once. Said eye was fine & sewed it up. Kitten busted the stiches in about 17 hours. Took him back, they resewed it, which again busted open in a few hours. Eye was fine, but now he looked crosseyed. Now 7 weeks later the kitten's eye is bulges out again. I called the vet &...

Eye bulging [ 8 Answers ]

Hello everyone! I'm new here.. and I have a question Two year ago I noticed that my right eye has bulged out. And when I look in the mirror my eyes don't look even anymore, the one that has bulged out looks lower. It looks like my eye is open more than the other eye. I went to the eye...

Bulging eye [ 2 Answers ]

Hi this is erika, I have notice both of my eyes are bulging out abit. And people say that when I sleep I don't close my eyes proplery. Even when I cry a lot I get headaches or like a throbing pain at the back of both of my eyes. I wonder what is the caused of it and if there is a prevention to...

Painted paneling looking sad [ 1 Answers ]

Help! :eek: I've painted over paneling with a sealer/primer and it's peeling off in places when I go over it with a brush (along the edges) and sometimes right on the wall with the paint roller putting on the next coat. Also it's turning the white primer yellow. It looks splotchy, and obvious that...

View more questions Search