Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kimb1048 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 7, 2017, 01:08 AM
    Storage room/basement drain backing up after heavy rain.
    Have septic tank, water backing up in basement drain. Have had a lot of rain lately, I keep using a wet vac to suck the water up. Water smells. Anyone know why? Plaeaseeee...
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 7, 2017, 02:38 AM
    When is the last time you checked your septic tank? Smells like it's more than rain water backing up.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2017, 07:30 AM
    Could be saturated drain field.

Jul 7, 2017, 02:37 PM
    But the water is clear.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2017, 02:57 PM
    By the time it percolates down to your basement, it would most likely be clear. If you need to do a new drain field, look at this

Our GA mountain house required use of the "Infiltrator Septic System" since we are only 60' from a river.

Jul 7, 2017, 06:35 PM
    Thank you
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Jul 8, 2017, 03:49 PM
    Is that sewer that is backing up or just rain water that is backing up a floor drain in the basement ? Stale rain water also smells and can be easily mistaken for sewer water.

What kind of drain is backing up in the basement ? Is it floor drain ? Floor drain may be connected to site pump, which would be separate from septic system. Site pumps pump water into different set of outside drains. Those drains may be filled with dirt. On top of it, ground may be saturated from rains not able to keep up with pump demand

Do some checking around to determine what system you have installed

Back to you

Milo

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why does water keep backing up in my basement no rain [ 2 Answers ]

We had our basement flood with the constant rain, we got it emptied, and now there is water again although it hasn't rained what is going on? And how do I fix it Woman in distress

Basement drain and toilet floods only during extremely heavy rain [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Brooklyn, NY. I own a 3 family building that was built in 2005. The basement floods only when there is extremely heavy rain. If I stop up the main sewer drain during the flooding - the water comes out of the toilet in the basement bathroom. We have one sump pump installed - but it...

Basement drain backing up into laundry room [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Every time I empty the kitchen sink the water backs up through the basement floor drain into my laundry room. This does not occur when we flush the toilet or shower, only when we use the kitchen sink. We had a plumber come snake our system but he did not snake through the floor drain, he...

Basement drain backing up with rain water? [ 2 Answers ]

My house was built in 1937. There's a basement drain near one corner that has never flooded. I have a dehumidifier parked over the top of it that drains into it (and has done so for about 10 years; I've also drained hot water tank and boiler into it as needed, so it works). The last two heavy...

Basement drain backs up during heavy rain. [ 1 Answers ]

The home was built in 1948 (Wayne MI), and is tied into the cities sewer system. Just last week we had a heavy rain. I come home from work, go down stairs only to see our carpet soaking wet. I remove the carpet and see that the water level in the drain is flush with the floor. :confused: The...

View more questions Search