Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peebro Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2017, 10:32 AM
    Due to a leak, my bathroom ceiling fell.
    Due to a leak, my bathroom ceiling fell. When cleaning up I expected to find some kind of solid material,but, the material looks like a thin painted plastic sheet that the insulation rested on. Is this normal ?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2017, 10:46 AM
    Yes.. that was what is called the vapor barrier. There SHOULD be one... otherwise moisture from inside the house in winter would migrate into and through the insulation, condensing and making it wet and even freezing. You want NEITHER situation to occur. It just has to be a barrier that moisture will not pass through. Doesn't need to be thick at all.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bathroom ceiling leak [ 3 Answers ]

What is the problem when my bathroom ceiling leaks only when the shower is on? It does not leak if the tub water runs.

Leak in ceiling bathroom [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a coop apartment. My bathroom has a leak in the ceiling (more towards the side, not center) that began to drip down the side of the wall. I notified the apartment above me, that is currently gut renovating their apartment (which includes bathrooms in the exact spots that I have...

Bathroom ceiling leak [ 5 Answers ]

My bathroom ceiling has a small slow dripping leak that comes and goes! I have a ceiling fan that is about two feet from the area in question. I run my fan during the showering phase and for about 15 to 20 min after a shower. I have been in my attic many times looking for leaks in the roof and...

Bathroom leak in the ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

HELP! I recently noticed that there has been a leak in the ceiling. We never looked up the living room... but the dark spot caught our attention. Its not dripping water. I don't hear any drops. But the strain looks bad. I have insurance and the house has 5 yrs warranty... so hopefully that...

Leak From Bathroom Ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

Just upgraded my water well which required that we run chlorine through the pipes for disinfection. Same week, ceiling started leaking around fan vent. Leak mysteriously stopped for several days and has now started again, same place. When we turn the water off at the pump, the leak continues. We...

View more questions Search