Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sergio51 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 16, 2007, 03:28 PM
    Car accident who's fault is it?
    I have two questions:

Question # 1
    If both parties say it was not their fault, how is culpability established (there were no witnesses or police at the scene)

Question#2
    What if one of the parties does not have insurance, does this make her automatically guilty for driving without insurance?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 04:31 PM
    When the accident happened, why did you not call the police ? You can't possibly establish culpability, neither one of you is going to say you are at fault. You are stuck in limbo. So just get on with it and get your car fixed.

No she isn't automatically at fault because she doesn't have insurance. But it is unfortunate and kind of silly not to.

Did this happen in the US or Canada, or in Europe?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 16, 2007, 04:35 PM
    In many states not having insurance will get the person a ticket but not responsibility for the accident. I am very surprised the police weren't called if you both blamed the other party, That sounds odd, can you tell us more about the situation?
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 16, 2007, 04:40 PM
    With no witnesses, even if the police were called they may not have been able to determin fault. i.e.. He said the light was red she said it was green.
    If the accident was small and the police were busy they might not have come anyway. All you can really do is sux it up and maybe win a claim in small claims court.
    tombb25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 7

Apr 16, 2007, 10:48 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sergio51
    I have two questions:

Question # 1
    If both parties say it was not their fault, how is culpability established (there were no witnesses or police at the scene)

Question#2
    What if one of the parties does not have insurance, does this make her automatically guilty for driving without insurance?
    Question # 1
    -If this turns out to be a word v. word claim, typically unless there is evidence to point that you were at fault or partially at fault your insurance company will side with you 100% and deny the other parties claim. This will be a Uninsured motorist claim which you more than likely have coverage for on your policy and the insurance company will repair your car. Please keep in mind that you must have collision coverage to have your car repaired, if you do not you will need to go to small claims court. If you do have collision you may have what is called an endorsement on your policy which will waive your deductible as well since it is a UM claim. I can give you more information if you let me know who your insurance company is.

Question#2
    -Fault can not be proved because the other driver does not have a license, insurance, is underage, is an illegal alien, is DUI and so forth, negligence has to be established, therefore you would still have to show that the other driver was at fault for the loss.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 05:45 AM
    Hello, it will be decided in court, if one side sues the other, or if the one with inusrnace turns it over to his insurance and they sue.

The court will decide who is telling the truth.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 17, 2007, 06:04 AM
    You have gotten good answers so far. The only thing I want to add is the only thing that can be done at this point is to look at the physical evidence. For example, if you were struck in the rear, in the vast majority of cases, the car that rear ended you was at fault. So the court would have to look at the extent and nature of the damage and the how it occurred and then determine fault. But that's only if it goes to court. All you need do is report it to your insurance company. They will pay the damages and go after the other party if they deem it worthwhile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Car accident not at fault [ 5 Answers ]

Hello I need advise please. I was involved ina car accident 2 months ago. It was not my fault . On the day of the accident I had my 22 month old son with me t,he paramedics arrive but I refuse to go to the hospital because I didn't have any insurance. Also I had just purchased that car and I was...

Car Accident wasn't My Fault [ 19 Answers ]

I was involved in a car accident.. I was a passenger I received injuries pcl torn in my right knee laceration to me forehead and top of my head down to my skull.. I have hospital bills of 40,000.The insurrance ajuster just told me today that the policy limit is 50,000.. He said that he will have to...

Not at fault for car accident, do they pay? [ 14 Answers ]

Hi, this is pretty long and confusing but I'm hoping someone will know. I was just rear ended a few days ago during traffic time. The light was green but we all had to stop. The SUV behind us didn't realize it and ended up slamming into the back of our car. She admitted fault and kept telling us...

Determination of fault in car accident in NJ [ 1 Answers ]

I was involved in an accident that the other parties insurance is stating was 5% my fault and only willing to pay as much. I don't believe I was at fault period and want to be compensated as such. (I realize it's only 5% but it's going to turn into more money than I can really afford at the...

Not At Fault Car Accident, What's Next? [ 2 Answers ]

I was Recently In A Car Accident That was not my Fault The Other Driver Took Responsibility For The Accident, But I Have Yet To Hear From His Insurance Company Which He Has Yet To Inform Me Of. The Police Don't Even Know His Insurance Company Either. He Was A Government Official And Driving A...

View more questions Search