Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    xisax Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 3, 2017, 08:20 AM
    Should I buy a rabbit? Or is it not a good idea?
    In the past few weeks I've watched lots of videos about rabbits as pets so I know that owning one is a huge responsibility but I think I can take care of one! I have space in my room for a cage big enough for a medium sized rabbit, is that a good idea?

I also own 3 adult cats and 1 kitten, one of them is mostly out but.. could a new rabbit and my cats get along if they are introduced correctly? Or should my rabbit only roam around my room and not the rest of my house?

I also have a nice garden where the rabbit can hop around freely too, I'd like to spend time out there with a rabbit and perhaps other places as well

I'm 18 years old, got a job/money, and got time for a rabbit

I'm mostly concerned about how the cats will react! And if it's a good idea to buy a brand new pet for myself. (I mostly want a bunny to keep me company in my room and because of their behaviour, they are pretty interesting and I just would like to take care of an animal I haven't had since I was 4 years old)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2017, 04:04 PM
    I've had rabbits all my life, currently have only one, 3 of my others died in the last 2 years (they were all very old). I love rabbits.

A few things to keep in mind. Set aside money to spay or neuter your rabbit, otherwise the sweet little bunny you once had, will suddenly become an aggressive, spraying humping rabbit at around 6 months. Spaying or neutering at around 6 months is a must. Most rabbits are given up because they become mean, and most people don't know that a spay/neuter can and often does fix this issue. Also, because rabbits do better with a bunny buddy, spaying or neutering is definitely a must, because rabbits breed like... well... rabbits, and there are so many needing homes, so lets not add to the population.

I have mixed feelings about cats and bunnies. I always had them together as a child, and never had a problem, but my cats were very laid back, and so was the bunny. I've heard stories of cats killing rabbits (after all, cats are predators, rabbits are prey), but it's never happened to me. Most experts say it's a big no no, which is where my mixed feelings come from, but I believe that any animals can get alone with patience and training. I would say that at first you should start them off slow, and one at a time. Be there to make sure nothing happens. Maybe even have bunny in the cage and just let the cats sniff at him/her. If, after a few months, they seem to get along, then let the bunny free roam. But, when you're not at home it's always best to have bunny in his/her cage, not only to keep him/her safe from the cats, but to keep bunny safe (bunnies love to chew on everything and anything, and an often be harmed by chewing on a wire, or something else that can kill them). If they don't get along, then sequester bunny to your room when he's free roaming.

I love that he/she will be an indoor bunny with outside time. Just love love love that! Outdoor only bunnies live an average of 5 years. Indoor bunnies live around 10-12 years. Huge difference, and much better for bunny to be indoors. But having regular outside play time is also a huge must. Tips for outdoor play time, make sure bunny is in an enclosure, and make sure that bunny can't escape. Remember that bunnies dig, and they dig well. If bunny is in a bottomless surround, he/she will dig out of it. A wire bottom that rests on the grass (so that the grass is poking through the wire, and bunny doesn't actually have to walk full on the wire) is the best. Also make sure the enclosure has a secure roof. I once had one of my bunnies in a dog enclosure, 6 feet high. She climbed out of it. I was literally gone 2 minutes. She was 2 pounds soaking wet and managed to climb that enclosure. So make sure to put something on top to keep them in, and also to keep them out of direct sun as it can get too hot for them. Supervised outdoor time is always the best, but if you won't be there, make sure they'll be secure. Do not leave them outside overnight unless you have a very secure rabbit cage. Predators love domesticated bunnies. Easy prey. You can also teach bunny to wear a cat harness and leash bunny, but if you do that, you must be there the entire time bunny is leashed. Cats, dogs, and other animals can come into your yard, and a leashed bunny is very easy prey.

Once the cage is bought and the bunny is spayed or neutered, upkeep is pretty cheap. They need a daily feed of timothy hay to help them with digestion, good rabbit food, water (of course), rabbit safe things to chew on to keep their teeth from growing too long (the sell a grinder and salt lick wheel in most pet stores, and it's the best for helping with their teeth), fresh hay or wood chips for their bedding every week, and free hop around time. Also invest in a good nail clipper as their nails have to be trimmed very regularly. My rabbits never had an issue with getting their nails trimmed. If you start them young, handling their paws, they're pretty good about this almost bi-weekly ritual. Also invest in a corner litter box. Most rabbits, even older ones if you get one from a shelter, can learn to be litter trained. Rabbits usually pick one corner for their potty , so watch bunny, and then place litter box in that corner. Maybe put in a few of his poos and wait. May take a bit of time, but they'd much rather do their thing in a litter box than in the hay.

So much more I could write about bunnies. From what you wrote, I think you're more than ready to bring one of these amazing little animals into your life. Just remember, they are for life, good times and bad, and can live up to 12 years. My remaining bunny is 14 years old, and still going strong, so make sure you have the time, patience and funds to have this animal in your life for that long.

If you have any more questions, just ask. I could talk about bunnies forever. :)

Oh, and have to add. You put this in the rodent section. Just an fyi, rabbits aren't rodents, they're lagomorphs. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 3, 2017, 04:07 PM
    Alty, be sure to mention about vets often not being familiar with rabbit care.
    Pets Expert

Jul 3, 2017, 04:16 PM
    So true. Most vets know absolutely nothing about rabbits, they're considered an exotic animal. You'll have to shop around for the spay or neuter, because rabbits aren't the same as dogs or cats. Ask questions. First question I always ask of a new vet when dealing with my rabbits, is "do I have to stop feeding my rabbit at midnight before surgery". If the vet says yes, then move on. Rabbits have no gag reflex, they can't vomit, and their system constantly needs food. Starving them before surgery is not only unnecessary, but also extremely dangerous.

Farm vets will know basic rabbit care, but may not be familiar with spay/neuter surgery, as most of their clients actually want more rabbits, so they breed them.

Shop around. A good rabbit vet is a must. Also, insist on sutures as oppsoed to staples when they do the spay/neuter, and make sure you put the cone on and leave it on until the wound is healed. Best way to keep a cone on a rabbit is to loop it onto a harness. A rabbit will literally rip himself apart if he/she gets access to the wound.

OMG! So many things I feel I need to say, but I'm pretty sure the original poster doesn't want to read a book.
    xisax Posts: 2, Reputation: 2

Jul 8, 2017, 09:14 AM
    Thanks for answering my questions!

I got to know if it is okay if I buy only one rabbit?

I've seen that rabbits are group animals and MUST be together or else they get super depressed? Is that true?

I just don't really want to spend more money on spaying/neutering if I have two but now I don't know what to do!
    Tatla Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Jul 9, 2017, 01:07 AM
    Alty's reply is so clear and extensive that there remains no room at all to say something. Animals tend to get depressed if alone, so its better if they are two... as two is not too many too... but be careful to cut your coat according to your cloth. Good luck!
    Pets Expert

Jul 15, 2017, 02:35 PM
    Sorry that it took so long to answer your follow-up question. For some reason I wasn't notifed when you posted. Very strange.

Single bunnies do well if they have a very caring owner. They're social animals, so if you spend lots of time with bunny, and bunny has lots of hop around time, bunny safe toys, and attention, a single bunny can do very well. You have cats, and cats and bunnies can become good friends, so bunny really wouldn't be alone. Just remember that cats and bunny should be supervised for months before being left alone, to make sure they get along.

I'm sure you want a baby bunny, because OMG, so cute, but consider a rescue. Rabbits are relinquished more than even cats. So many bunnies in shelters looking for homes. Good parts of adopting instead of buying, is that you're saving a life, and shelter bunnies normally are fixed before the're adopted out. With an adoption cost of $20-$75 in my area (not sure where you are or what the adoption cost is by you), that's a huge savings considering that a spay or neuter surgery in my area costs upwards of $300 for a rabbit.

Another good thing, many shelters, because of space restrictions, will house bunnies together if they get along, so you en up with a preset bonded pair, because bonding bunnies is very important, and not all bunnies get along, even if they grow up together.

I really think you're ready for a bunny, and for me to say that, means a lot, because I don't think most people should have bunnies. They're a unique animal, a lot like cats, but then, not so much either. Me personally, I love bunnies. At one point I had 4, 3 rescues, one bought from a pet store because he was being sold too young, and I couldn't leave him there for some inexerienced bunny owner to buy just because he's cute, which he really was. All my rescues have been amazing, all very different personalities. Of the four I only have one left now, he's almost 14 years old. He lived on the streets for over a year while they wre trying to catch him. He was then adopted and returned because he didn't get along with the other bunny the lady had. I think it was just a case of her not knowing rabbits very well, because with time, and patience, he was great with his bunny brothers and sisters at our house. She also said he was a biter. I've never been bitten by him, but he loves to nibble things. For instance, if he's sitting on your lap, he will nibble a hole in your shirt, or your pants, so we never hold him without his blanket under him, so he can nibble on it. It's like his safety blanky. :)

If you need help finding the pefect bunny, let me know, I'd love to help.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Using a blog to vent a good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Suggestions? [ 13 Answers ]

If you've seen my other question, then you know I've had some drama lately.. Well concerning that post I will say, things settled out. Well.. more of, she read my journal that morning while I took my regents test and found out that I thought I liked her. Today, we discussed that. She doesn't...

Good idea o bad idea [ 3 Answers ]

I am going down to near my ex girlfriend lives in a few weeks. I was wondering if it would be a bad idea to tell her and see if she wants to hangout as friends or something. I haven't talked to her since we broke up in march, and things between us started so fast and then ended even quicker. Here...

Is it a good idea or a bad idea. [ 9 Answers ]

My daughter is 5. and she has developed this habit of getting up in the mornings at 3am and getting into things in the fridge and cupboards for late night snacks. I have tried fridge locks and cupboard locks, but she is just too darn smart and figures them all out! My question is, would it be...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search