Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jun 24, 2017, 04:57 PM
    Bugs in the cake mix
    Sealed box and envelop yet the bugs are in the cake mix. How do you prevent this?

Most of the time, moth and worm larvae enter a box of food from the outside because they are attracted by the starch in the glue that holds the box together. Once they eat through the box, they find a veritable cafeteria that could feed them for a long, long time.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 24, 2017, 06:13 PM
    I normally put any mixes (cake, pancake, and flour) in a plastic container. I cut out the name of the substance, any instructions, and place it in the plastic container as well (or taped to the front if the container isn't clear), so that I have all I need when I'm ready to use it. You can get clear plastic containers cheap and most dollar stores. Saves me a lot of worry about anything getting into the mix before it's used.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 25, 2017, 03:18 AM
    The ziplock type storage bags work well. The gallon sized bags even allow you to put the entire container in them. They will hold a 2 Kilo or 5 pound bag of flour.
    pastor1189 Posts: 1,538, Reputation: 3
    Ultra Member

Jun 25, 2017, 03:54 AM
    Great advice
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 25, 2017, 10:22 AM
    I defer to our pest expert, but my experience (and from what I've read) is that the Indian meal moth, also called pantry moth and other names, can lay eggs through a ziplock bag.
    I had to buy expensive OXO containers for everything, living in a rural area, but I'm happy I did.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Jun 26, 2017, 02:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    the Indian meal moth, also called pantry moth and other names, can lay eggs through a ziplock bag.
    I'd love to read that. I would guess the seal on the bag and how tightly it's packed could allow them to chew through the plastic, but I've not seen it. In this area the other pantry moth (Angoumois Grain Moth) is more common.
    Locrian_44 Posts: 44, Reputation: 14

Jul 29, 2017, 06:55 PM
    Pantry Moths

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bugs on the bed and laundry, not bed bugs [ 1 Answers ]

I've seen a few of these from time to time (this is recent though, usually only see one a month, sometimes two.) The bugs look like a fuzzy left from some clothes, but I'm paranoid about bugs and of course always examine closer and I noticed that it was moving (very slowly) and is hard (I haven't...

Invisible bugs in couch what could it be,they bite but we don't see any bugs [ 3 Answers ]

For about 6months the kids have been getting bit well they are on couch,never see any bugs,they don't even know they have been biten into they start itching,what coud it be,I have tried lots of different things to get rid of them nothings working.

Cake anyone? [ 1 Answers ]

Cake Wrecks ? Baby ShowerEdition - BLOG - Pregnant Chicken

Cake [ 4 Answers ]

You have a cake and a knife. You are allowed to cut the cake four times in STRAIGHT lines. What is the maximum number of pieces that you could cut the cake into?

Cake [ 4 Answers ]

How do you make homemade cake not from a box?

View more questions Search