Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    S SID Posts: 91, Reputation: 11

Jun 23, 2017, 06:18 AM
    Driving law
    Hi. I've received a summons for using a mobile phone while driving. I pulled over, took the call and hung up after but still had the phone in my hand.
    I sent an email to the police explaining this but because I had the phone in my hand, the summons still stand and the officer told me its minimum £200 fine plus 6 points in the U.K.
    What can I do?
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jun 23, 2017, 06:29 AM
    Explain to the magistrates what happened.
    The law is quite clear, you are not to have a mobile device in your hands while driving.

Jun 23, 2017, 06:54 AM
    I thought I wasn't to use it but yes I still had it in my hand.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jun 23, 2017, 09:41 AM
    Don't see you winning this at all... odds are cop saw you with it in your hand while the car was in motion... that is all the law requires. If you had used a hands free device you would have been OK. And you CAN make ANY bluetooth phone hands free for very little money if your car stereo doesn't already support it ( a fraction of what that ticket will be).

Jun 23, 2017, 04:18 PM
    It was in a hire car, my car does have hands free and is connected to it. I'd like to think aim law abiding, I actually pulled over to take the call, that's the annoying thing.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 23, 2017, 07:20 PM
    Sadly the law states you can't have the phone in your hand while driving, and you admit that you did. No, you weren't taking a call, you weren't texting, but the phone was in your hand, and of course everyone that's caught with a phone in their hand while driving, is going to say they weren't using it. It's a pretty common defense.

I can't see you getting out of this one. Looks like you're going to have to pay. But do tell them your story. You never know, if the judge is in a good mood that day, you may get off without a fine.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 24, 2017, 04:24 PM
    You are not going to win, even if it is true, You can not prove you did not do it. If they look at phone records you were on the phone just seconds different.

You needed to have put it away prior to driving. Sorry pay the fine, this is a no winner.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Freee truck driving training for felon but very clean driving record? [ 22 Answers ]

I would love to drive semi's local or cross country, but I do not have the job training or the finances for driving school. Can someone please help me ? Thank you Oscar

Driving out west, what are the pros and cons of driving Rt 80 as opposed to Rt 90 [ 0 Answers ]

What route I80 or I90 is better for driving from the Boston area to St. Louis?

Driving on Driving Permit [ 1 Answers ]

HI all, I was caught for driving on a permit w/o a driver's license, and no licensed co passenger besides me. The cop gave me a summon which I can plead guilty or not in 10 days. The fine is $109. If I plead guilty I don't know how many points will be taken off. I have International Driving...

View more questions Search