Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tatla Posts: 55, Reputation: 5

Jun 18, 2017, 04:52 AM
    How to read better and faster?
    I have a passion for reading, but whenever I am free, and try to read, my mind gets diverted. I have a large collection of books of many genres. However, I fail to read much of these. I have great classics like One Hundred Years of Solitude by Garbia Marcia Marquez, Mother by Maxim Gorky, To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee and all works of Shakespeare, Charles Dickens, Thomas Hardy, Dan Brown and many others. However, I can read small or large stories only. Reading a large book like a novel is not my cup of tea. Kindly tell me how can I read and improve my reading. I shall be grateful to the people who shall help me read, immensely.
    Story Writer Posts: 108, Reputation: 13

Jul 7, 2017, 04:29 AM
    You can consult some books. There are some books on this topic. Did you try?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 7, 2017, 04:57 AM
    I'm old school and believe practice makes perfect. Read more even if you have to go back to read it again to understand what you read. No I don''t believe in sound good, expensive, quick fixes.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 7, 2017, 05:08 AM
    I agree with talaniman. As someone who has read a LOT of books in his life... there is no magic quick fix, or "weird hack" that will let you read stupid fast.

You do it through practice. Your problem is attention and focus... not reading speed. If you keep getting distracted... stay away from the distractions.

Jul 21, 2017, 08:01 AM
    It is a workable suggestion. It is helpful. Now, I am into reading.

Smoothy, please guide me how can I improve my writing? I mean how to write like the English people do? And, how to avoid grammatical errors?

How can I get rid of distraction? Please guide about that too...
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 21, 2017, 10:27 AM
    Avoiding distractions is easy. Turn off the TV, turn off the radio, turn off the computer, It might require reading in a room without others in it (Parents or siblings doing their own things) avoiding distraction is as much about self discipline as finding a quieter place to go about doing it. Avoid being around anything else that you like a lot that will distract your attention from reading. That may not be the same for every person.

Improving your writing is completely different than reading. That requires instruction by someone qualified who really is good at it to teach you, Also keep in mind when you say "English people" there are differences between Australian English, British or even Irish English, and American or Canadian English, then you have Caribbean English. There are differences in grammar, word usage and spelling, but they share more in common than differences.

You appear quite fluent now so finding someone VERY good with English grammar etc... is going to be more important now for you than someone just beginning to learn. That might not be easy to do in a non-English speaking country. I really have no idea what country you live in now.

Also,English Grammar is quite difficult and intricate. Not Every native English speaking person is an expert at it by any means despite their apparent fluency speaking and writing it. I for example did VERY well in math and Science, and breezed through College with an Engineering degree...but English grammar was actually my worst class throughout school.
    Expert

Jul 21, 2017, 11:36 AM
    You already write very well and your grammar is great, so keep doing whatever you're doing. LOL, I learned to read and write on comic books. :) Loved the pictures!
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jul 21, 2017, 11:55 AM
    I do agree that practice makes perfect, that's true of anything, but one thing to consider that the others haven't mentioned, is a doctors check. You could be suffering from a learning disorder like ADHD or dyslexia, which may be why you have trouble focusing, or maybe even trouble reading. You may be completely unaware that this is going on.

As for your writing, you write very well for someone who doesn't speak English as a first language. The fact that you learned English leads me to believe that you can also learn to read better, you just have to be patient and keep trying.
    Story Writer Posts: 108, Reputation: 13

Jul 21, 2017, 07:46 PM
    Thanks Smoothy, Talaniman and Alty,

Your suggestions are very valuable and your writing/saying that I write good English, e,g, Alty saying I write goods as far as I being a non-native English speaker is concerned, is really an appreciation certificate for me. Taking grammar classes is not on my agenda, nor is it possible for me, as I am very busy in job, family and other concerns. However, my passion for learning other languages of India like Malyalam, Bangla, Odia, Telgu and Tamil is as intense, as is for learning the European languages like French, Spanish and German. However, the paucity of time and this attention issue are the major barriers. Still, I am, as you have suggested, reading so much. I also write for the newspapers. I write articles which are published in newspapers, as major articles, just alongwith the editorial, on main page. Due to this I earn a lot of appreciation and recognition. However, I am trying to improve myself further. You all deserve a pat on the back for your valuable advice. Suggest good books for self-improvement and for reading and writing better, if you have in mind. Thanks again!

Aug 18, 2017, 06:11 AM
    Does mechanical exercise for enhancing reading speeds helps more or just reading more would help more?
    Expert

Aug 18, 2017, 06:26 AM
    Do them both.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

80s (?) anime about a race driver who keeps driving faster and faster? [ 1 Answers ]

Thought it might have been a scene from Heavy Metal, but can't find it... the driver is possessed, and can't stop driving faster... Anime.

I need to learn how to read faster, can anyone suggest a method they experienced? [ 3 Answers ]

Its my pitiful attention span, I read to slow for my brain to stay entertained. I need to be able to absorb written information faster.

View more questions Search