Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Jun 17, 2017, 02:05 PM
    Meaning of dialogue from movie?
    can someone please help explain the dialogue from this movie? So this is how the dialogue goes:

Person X: Let's say there is no God, and each man is free to do what he chooses. What prevents you from murdering somebody?

Person Y: Murder's immoral.

Person X: But immorality's subjective.

Person Y: Yes, but subjectivity is objective.

Person X: Not in a rational scheme of perception.

Person Y: But perception is irrational. It implies immanence.

First off, with "Subjectivity (the act of being persuaded by opinions) is objective (being persuaded by facts)" how the hell would that work? Aren't they antonyms? And is person X saying that it's not rational to perceive subjectivity as objective or that people with rational perception are influenced by opinions and not facts? And then what does it mean when they say perception implies immanence (the quality of being inherent or within), I can't even begin to comprehend what they're saying. Someone please help explain this to me!
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jun 17, 2017, 06:42 PM
    To explain it you would have to accept it. I don't, starting with the first sentence. We are free to do what we choose, within the limits of our bodies and minds. All societies have laws. Most societies have laws against murder. Murder can get a little murky in regards to things such as self defense, protecting someone, or revenge.

Most of this is a bunch of meaningless word play. Why do you feel that it is worth trying to dissect?
    Subjectivity is not objective just because it exist.
    We can only try to reach a rational scheme of perception. It's on a sliding scale of perfection.
    Irrational is not a good description of perception. Perception IS subjective.
    Immanence is not a word I use. I see it used in religious discussion. It's too vague and metaphysical for me.

So... why is this tripe important to you?
    Allen Farber Posts: 191, Reputation: 1

Jun 18, 2017, 04:05 AM
    It's because although I might not agree with what they're saying, I at least want to understand their position.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jun 18, 2017, 06:34 AM
    I am confused by your question. What is it you do not understand about the blabbering of two humans in a movie?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

A new dialogue [ 2 Answers ]

I know that Tom is going to be horrified by this OP telling us all his predictions have come true but here is a indication China is shifting more to the west Gillard scores coup with China agreement Australia now has a relationship with China enjoyed by a few nations and contrary to Tom's...

Meaning of a movie quote? [ 1 Answers ]

What is the meaning of this phrase from Timo Cruz's speech from the movie Coach Carter: There is nothing enlightened about shrinking, So that other people won't feel secure around you.

Epic movie dialogue please help [ 0 Answers ]

Altight here is the link to the epic movie dialogue , I'm trying to figure out were it came from http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TTfE_y4OqPk please help

European Movie called Traffic - late 60s. No dialogue [ 2 Answers ]

Does anyone remember the European movie called "Traffic". A silent movie i.e.. Very little diaolgue. I saw it in Melbourne in late 60s early 70s. It depicted a motor Expo in Belgium (I think) and many shots of car drivers on the roads and freeways in europe. The humour was totally derived from...

Searching for dialogue-less Spy movie [ 1 Answers ]

Somewhere out there is this great black and white spy movie from the 1940s (?) era which is filled with incredible suspense, but there is absolutely no dialogue. Anybody know the title?

View more questions Search